Out on the bubble

• mountig1
      Hi all, I'm Ian and I'm quite old for the poker community. I've been playing for a while and had some small successes, particularly on PKR, playing Omaha hi/lo. I blew my modest bankroll in one mad Sunday a couple of months back and I'm trying other sites for good games that are VERY cheap. My problem is that whenever I play an MTT be it freeroll or low stakes I inevitably build up to a decent position but always seem to crash out just before the payout usually having a pretty good starting hand. What's the best stategy for making the cash without getting so weak so as to have no chance of making the bigger prizes? Sorry my 1st post is such a long one lol. X(
  • 1 reply
    • EagleStar88
      Hi Ian,

Speaking as someone well into their 30's and knocking on the door of the 40's, I can confirm you are never too old for poker. With age comes wisdom.... apparantely ;)

I'm no expert at mtt's myself, but I believe the key is to continue building your stack but in a controlled and very selective way. You need to be looser in the later stage than when you start an mtt, but still need to pick your moments carefully.

For better and much more detailed help, I would strongly recommend reading through the Tournament strategy guides and also attend an mtt coaching session whenever possible. The coaching sessions are free and you see a hugely experienced player playing live tournaments, describing their hands and thoughts during tricky situations. You also get the chance to ask specific questions and 2nd opinions. Well worth a look.

Don't also forget to exercise a sensible BRM (Bankroll Management), the variance in mtt tournaments can be extremely high and you will need at least 100xBI's to overcome any short term losses.

Good luck & enjoy your poker.

Best regards,