[NL2-NL10] When u fell u are ahead preflop ... do u call ?

• bonecore
      bonecore
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $1
      Hero:
      $4.41

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:diamond: , J:diamond:
      MP2 checks, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.98, Hero calls $0.90.

Flop: ($2.01) J:spade: , 5:diamond: , 4:spade:
      Turn: ($2.01) J:club:
      River: ($2.01) 3:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.01

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows (9h 9c)
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, jacks (Kd Jd)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, jacks (Kd Jd)

this is the hand ... i had KJ ,,, the first hand of a player he posted from UG and checked... i raised and he shoved... and i callled
      i felt he is tricky
      i do this alot i call preflop shoves especially if the opponent is mid-short-stack and i think i win in the long run... of course i do it only when i feel like i am ahead...
      like if i think he has A rag i call shove with QK ... or 3-bet maybe
      if i got AJ i also call
      now this hand i felt i could call with KJ...

Do i really win in long run by calling like that from donks ?
      it is a nice thing that u can get the money out of bad players fast... and maybe they lose it to someone else before... this is just NL2... so what do u think ?

PS: what to do so that i add a link to show the hand like in a replayer...
  • 5 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I would never call here with KJs. I started playing ring games to try and decrease the variance of playing tournaments, and calling with hands like this is not how to do it.

Although your opponent is almost always a fish if he's posting UTG, and he will hence be bluffing alot of the time in this spot, if he has two live cards you're never that much of a favourite and he may have got lucky and spiked a pocked pair or a better king or jack. I think Ax is slight favourite against KQ isn't it? (it's been a while so don't ridicule me if that's wrong)

He could also just be an experienced player who just joined your site and is struggling with the software, or some similar accident. I don't like calling all ins pre unless there's a decent chance i have my opponent in serious trouble (AK over AQ or pocket pair over pocket pair). KJ is famously difficult for new players to handle and going all in pre is not the solution.

It's obviously your game and you can do what you like, but i think against donks there are much much easier ways to take their money than calling in spots like this and you should probably cut it out of your game. If you play for many thousands of hands you can look over your results if you have HEM. I think there's a way to look at only hands where all the money went in pre. Then you can let us know whether your strategy works at lower limits. I for one would love to know.

edit: PS i don't know how to do the hand replayer thing but the way you posted that hand is just fine.
    • bonecore
      bonecore
      Bronze
      thank you for your opinion , I apreciate that u took time to answer
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      Even with those idiotic tilters that go all-in every hand, you should wait for a better hand than KJs to go all-in. So that is a very bad move on your side.

P.S. How exactly do you think you are ahead with KJs vs 99?
    • bonecore
      bonecore
      Bronze
      LudiCoka-first thank you all for your time and for responses

in my poor defence i would say it is same as AKs vs 99 actually in this exact case...
      but u are right and i dont really call with KJ ... this was first time...

i mean if i had a decent hand like AQ or maybe AJ ... that guy played his first hand at table , didnt wait to post and posted on UG ...

forgot to mention that the table was not with autopost and it is wait for big blind as defalut so he had to click on the checkmark to post before time..

i thought there are less chances he having a good hand.... he clicked on the checkmark and then had a monster hand instantly

also he was half a stack
      ... in similar situation i found i am ahead many times... with AJ or even KQ maybe

PS: i am experimenting stuff and play with good bankroll management so that i can do plays without feeling sad about losing... am curious if it is a win in long run:)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Can't be awful but it's usually not profitable either, in general you should just stay away from situations where the best you can hope for is a flip. And in that spot you have no solid reason to believe that he's totally spazzing out with complete trash, he could very well show up even with all Ax hands and you'd be behind.

Hope it helps.