[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh KQ calls raise makes TPGK

• snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $9.35
      BB: $9.85
      UTG: $11.85
      MP: $10.00
      Hero (CO): $20.40
      BTN: $5.85

Reads: Was this a bad play on my part? Should I have smoothcalled and re-evaluated on the turn? Which line wouldve been better? My reasoning was that I wanted to know where I stood, and by just calling it would be harder to know, perhaps even let him draw out on me with an Ace if he held AK. Was this too rash of a move?

And yes I realise it mightve been borderline calling with KQo here, but I didnt give him 100% credit for his raises, that was the reason.

Preflop: Hero is dealt K Q (6 Players)
      UTG raises to $0.50, MP folds, Hero calls $0.50, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.15) 3 Q 8 (2 Players)
      UTG bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2.80, UTG folds
      Uncalled bet of $2.00 returned to Hero

Pot Size: $2.75 ($0.25 Rake)
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi snowylee!

As you already mentioned: preflop is very close but if you had a read that should be ok. On the flop it's ok to raise because you want to know what you are up against. You are in position which means even if he calls you, you can check behind on the turn for pot control and bluff induce.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yes ok, thanks ^_^. And for the record, wouldnt have called KQo if wouldnt have been for me giving him less credit for his raise :)
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      if you want to play the hand after his UTG bet preflop, I'd suggest you'd 3-bet instead of calling, gives you better image whether he has something or not. I don't like to play KQo to a UTG bet though, you can wait for better spots :)