This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Calling station mode profitable?

• LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      The thing is, I've been playing on cake poker last 4 days for 3 hours per day and I've seen this calling station guy play his game by calling on flop and turn any draw he can. Then folding or going all-in if hit/miss. And in those 12 hours where we played together he managed to get out with 35$ on NL4 every time, 2 tables.

This made me think, because cake players are almost all regs and very nitty preflop but bad postflop, they can't fold much, such a style becomes profitable against them.

So, in your oppinion, can this way of playing be profitable in any circumstances at all, or is this guys success only a burst of luck (he got away 8 times now with a huge profit).
  • 5 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Try to play like him.

i think we will see nice post here in few days..

And that post will be with the title similar to that: 'This poker is so fucking rigged.'
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      +1
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      seems liek a reasonable strategy if they keep calling him light when he hits
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to NL, but wouldn't it be easy to just make this type of player pay on the flop and turn, then folding to an all-in when a bad card hits on the river? If he's doing it with a gutshot the implied odds may not even be there to call the turn and profit from an all-in on the river if he hits.

What does he do on the turn when he makes his draw? U seem to be implying he does he's all-in on the river every hand played with a draw, hit or miss. I heard Isildur1 overbets the river a lot but haven't looked much into it, worth some discussion.

Against the opponents I'm playing right now I prefer to just make a value bet and sometimes use the same size of bet for a bluff to balance, unless I think my opponent will call bigger based on how the hand has been played.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      calling all the time is expensive. the important part of the equation is whether your opponents are stupid enough to pay you off when you hit a big hand.

on another note, I don't know if cake has em, but deep stack tables would be the best choice to employ this strategy as your implied odds increase.