[NL20-NL50] NL 25 FR M-way wet flop

• oedipa
      oedipa
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

SB ($38.22)
      BB ($6.75)
      UTG ($20.05)
      UTG+1 ($25.35)
      Hero (MP1) ($47.95)
      MP2 ($10) 12/5 167 hands
      MP3 ($27.03)
      CO ($23.82) 50/4 25 hands
      Button ($25.57) 22/16 33 hands

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, K
      2 folds, Hero bets $0.75, MP2 calls $0.75, 1 fold, CO calls $0.75, Button calls $0.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.35) 9, K, J (4 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO bets $2, 1 fold, Hero calls $2, MP2 calls $2

Turn: ($9.35) A (3 players)
      Hero bets $4.50, MP2 calls $4.50, 1 fold

River: ($18.35) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.75, MP2 calls $2.75 (All-In)

Total pot: $23.85 | Rake: $1.19

I wonder if I played this hand right :)
      here is my reasoning:
      I wanted to check/call flop not to get raised by worse hands like some combodraws,
      on a blank turn I wanted to bet/fold
      If i got called, I would probably check/fold river against big raise and call small raise on a blank
      against the small stack on river its negative freeroll

Could I do something else? I thought about leading flop and giving up right away but that would be weak?

Thank you for advice :)
  • 4 replies
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Hello oedipa,

Flop - Cbet here about PSB (pot size bet)
      Reasoning for that - a lot of players will check behind with their draws.
      By betting you want them to make a mistake = call a bet, which is too big for their hands.
      Get money in while you are likely ahead. So - on the flop is the best chance.

Blank turn? - there are way too many cards which helps to your opponents, that is why you should bet on the flop.

Please play DHB (draw heavy boards) aggressively.

I would most likely get it all-in on the flop.

Good luck!
    • oedipa
      oedipa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Anger86
      Hello Anger
      I thought about your advice and I think that leading flop for 3 is ok, but I am not very happy about getting it in on that flop 4 way.
      If the big stacks fold I get it in against the short stack on turn if he calls or flop if he raises.
      The line I took was weak anyway.
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      I think I'm going broke against the SS and against CO (on the fishy side),
      because against SS we will get good enough equity after Cbet.
      Against loose CO - I assume that he will also go broke a little bit light.
      Against BU, as he seems a little bit tight, I'm giving up Vs his cbet raise.

Tight opponents going broke range (maybe BU):
      I put here straight, 2 pair, sets, combo draws -

Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Hero : 12.773 % 12.641 % 0.264 % 87.095 % AhKh
      Player 2: 87.227 % 87.095 % 0.264 % 12.641 % JJ, 99, AdQd, AdTd, KJs, K9s, QTs, Td9d, KJo, K9o, QTo

But I assume that CO (seems fishy) could go broke also with straight draws, any Adxd flush draws, some Kx hands like KQ, KT, some middle pair + straight draw (QJ, KT, JT,)
      So it is:

Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Hero: 42.969 % 42.773 % 0.391 % 56.836 % AhKh
      Player 2: 57.031 % 56.836 % 0.391 % 42.773 % JJ, 99, AdQd, AdTd, Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Ad3d, Ad2d, KJs-K9s, QTs+, J9s+, Td9d, AQo, KJo-K9o, QTo+, J9o+

This is really hard to say, because we can put more gutshots here
      and then we are flipping (Against CO).

It is very interesting hand, waiting for coach. :)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

We're not really worried about getting raised on that flop. We hit a decent hand but it's not the nuts on that board 4-way by any means, even if we get raised by a combodraw we'll be close to flipping with that most of the time, so folding to a range of combodraws+monsters is neutral at worst.

C-betting, while getting us value, also forces our opponents to take immediate action that gives us information about their ranges. People with strong hands will be looking to raise right there and if it goes raise + 3bet we're usually no good. People with draws or pair+draw hands will just call more often than they'll raise, so we can still feel pretty confident about betting blank turns for value against calling ranges.

I'd tend to agree with Anger86's general assessment, except that I don't expect random 50/4 fish to go broke by raising with a wide range, they usually tend to call with pretty much everything except the mortal nuts. It's possible he's one of the most aggressive ones, but it's hard to believe with his pfr of 4 so far. I'll have no problem getting out of the way when in doubt if he raises and it puts us in an awkward spot.

Hope it helps.