italian enginerr student ask help to become a better player

• triplotunz
      triplotunz
      Basic
      hi everybody!
      first of all sorry for my bad english..i'll try to do my best..
      my name is antonio and i'm 22 years old. i live in turin,big city in the NW of italy.
      i decided to write here because i consider this one probably the best poker forum all around.
      i'm actually studying physics engineering here in turin 4th year, i have 2 exams left for the first degree.
      i've been a pretty good golf player since i was a kid, i've been part of the italian national team from 2001 to 2009, but the la last season i played poorly because lot of study(and poker..)

i started to play poker a couple of years ago online, paradisepoker.com with the money i won with a sport bet, and i easily got broke..like a real fish :f_biggrin:
      then i started playing live with friends 10$(i write $ for me are euro but it doesn't matter) stngos and understand a little bit more about the game.
      june 2008 i play a 100$ stngo in a club i finish 1st of 27 and won something like 900$. i tought 'wow'
      i finally opened an acoount on pokerstars.com where i play totally out of br but i have a couple of satisfactions:one time i finished 400th on sunday million qualifying with fpps and i also won a 30$ satellite to 800$ satellite fot EPT dortmund 2009, finish 21st out of 170 with 12 packages for EPT.so bad..
      but i generally lose my winnings in a week or two trying limit too high or playing against hu regulars..

anyway, june 2009 pokerstars.com have been closed for italian players and i started playing on pokerstars.it, where there is no cash game and the maximum buy-in is 100$ for now.
      i consider myselef a pretty good player but i'm really a f****r about BR..so i got broke a couple of time..

now i finally(hope so) understood the importance of a goor BRM and i see few little very little results..

my online br is now 240$
      i played 1$ stngos from 50$ till 200 and last week i started play 3$ stngo (maybe it's better have a br of 100x?????)
      271 games 3$ 9-max turbo ROI 7.8% for 63.48$ winnings
      is that good?or 271 games are few to say something?
      i read lot of poker books, but helped my a lot 'poker strategy'
      i generally play 2 hours in the evening multitabling 10-12x
      i utilize table ninja and holdem manager(lot to learn about it)
      my goal is to play 3$ stngo till 500 and then level up to 5$ ecc..
      i hope to grow up fast..
      last week a friend stak me for the sunday biggest tournament in italy,100$ 2000 players i paly pretty well and go to day2 but finish 48th,350$ prize.
      what do you guys think?
      any advice??
      play less table each session maybe help to play A-game??

i prefer stngo to hu because my ROI is a lot higher..playing hu i'm always riskyng tilt..

i also play cash game live with some friends couple of time per week 0.10/0.20$ and last month i won something like 350$ in 6 sessions..what do you think?i should use this money for online so i can play 5$ stngo with a br of 100x?

i'll be really happy about any advice or help or everything else!(you can also tell me i'm a fish if we met at the table once..)
      this is all you have to know about me, don't hesitate to write here please!

maybe i can write sometimes my br situation or post hands or holdem mangare graphs here??what do you think??
      of course as million of guys out there i really want to improve my game and one day become a PPP, but for now i go on with my university..
      i love read poker news,blogs and forums, here on strategy i'm a fan of TwiceT and mbml..

i hope you'll help me on my road to become a great player..because is something i really like and want to do!

thank you guys for your attention!
      help!

stay tuned
      triplotunz

ps:my favourite players are 'teddy KGB !!!???' and Tony G..and of course phil ivey!
  • 9 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

BRM is of course very important, you should stick to it :) . Playing less tables each session will probably decrease your hourly rate but improve your game and therefore give you more profit in the long run then mass multitabling. It is also very important that you review your played hands after each session, post some in our hand evaluation forums, read articles, watch videos and attend coachings. You can also start a blog in our blogging section where you can post graphs etc.

Best regards,

Primzi
    • iamblueandurmine
      iamblueandurmine
      Bronze
      Hello Antonio, like yourself im a student and a golf addict (I live right beside the Old Course in St andrews!), i also did Engineering at uni for a few years before realising i truely hated it and changed! Anyway i paid my way through uni playing poker and now play for a living. I paid cash almost exclusively but started on sngs and mtts so if you need a little bit of advice about taking it to the next level let me know. My skype name is Duncs85, feel free to add me:)
    • triplotunz
      triplotunz
      Basic
      @ primzi

thank you for answering me first, and for the advices.
      i starte ed to watch coaching videos for stngos and i found a couple of great one!
      where i can start a blog of my poker 'career' with news and br situation every day-week or so??in which section??here is no good??everybody who knows please tell me..i really like to open a 'personal' blog with updates of my game,BR,hands ecc..
      thank you

@ iamblueandurmine

wow!you live in standrews??ready for next week?????
      what's your hcp??
      good friends of mine are palying this and next week..do you know molinari's brothers???

speaking about poker:you are a pro now?do you play cash game online?mtt live?did you start from low blinds anc then level after level up??
      thank you for your help and support!!

ps:i'm a big fan of padraig harrington..
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

Feel free to write a blog in this forum.

Best regards,

Primzi
    • triplotunz
      triplotunz
      Basic
      thanks..

i open a new thread(it will be something like my personal blog of my poker 'career')

Your Poker Blogs » italian player adventures 'triplotunz'

so from now probably i'll write everything (post my hands, graph from HDM and questions) there..

stay tuned
      triplotunz
    • iamblueandurmine
      iamblueandurmine
      Bronze
      Well i caddied on the Old Course for 3 years but dont play so much these days. Ill be at the Open for sure, cant wait!

Well i guess you could say im a poker pro, depending on what the citeria for that might be. After i graduated 6 months ago ive been using poker as my only source of income and probbaly make more than i would in any graduate job. But im only using poker as a means of income until i get the job im looking for, and if im honest id reccommend keeping poker a side source of income and focus on getting a mint engineering job.

I started on small stakes sngs, but didnt stick to much bankroll management, i got in on partypoker when it was well known for the biggest fish pool around and i guess i just staying on the good side of variance and got a bankroll together. I did ok in mtts and quickly changed to cash. Again with poor BRM i started on 100NL and learnt for my mistakes the easy way, getting lucky, enough to never put my bankroll in any real danger. After a while i started to read more and pokerstrategy's small/midstakes cash videos were an excellent source. Now i have 4 bankrolls for 200NL on the 3 biggest sites and Betfred (Yuck) becuase i get 66+% rakeback and my friend works there and he gets a decent chuck of the rest of the rake!

Right now sngs and mtts are the way to make money, esp mtts. Cash tables are gets tougher and tougher, with fewer fish and more understanding grinders the margins are way finer and moving up will be slower. Sngs, depending on the site are the way forward until you have a roll for lowish stakes mtts then i would recommend hitting them hard. Learn from the younger high stakes mtts grinders, they are superb and can teach you things you wont forget, trust me.

My poker path isnt by the book in any way and i learnt from experience more than through education and although i wouldnt endorse the way i went about things and can tell you with 100% certainty that the more you play the better you will get. There is no substitute for experience, doesnt matter how many videos you watch or books you read there is always a situation you will not have seen/read of before, make lots of great moves and horrible mistakes its the only way to really learn.

Right im pretty baked and ranting on a bit, hope this helps
    • garaislops
      garaislops
      Bronze
      [Edit by Chiller3k: Rule 3: No advertising]
    • Generalhero
      Generalhero
      Bronze
      Antonio, ma perchè non vieni sul PokerStrategy italiano ?
      Puoi cambiare la lingua in alto a destra, scegli italiano e vieni sul forum da noi!
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Even though you've only told him about the Italian forums, please refrain from using languages other than English outside of the International Meeting Place as not to confuse other users :)

Hadi