[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH -- 99 with MRaise on flop

In this Board, the vilain had set or TPAK?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

UTG ($0.69)
      MP ($0.74)
      CO ($5.08)
      Button ($5.15)
      Hero (SB) ($2)
      BB ($2.14)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 9
      1 fold, MP calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero bets $0.12, BB calls $0.10, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.26) 6, 3, 10 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.44, Hero?????

Total pot: $0.66 | Rake: $0.03
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Of course sets, possibly top pairs if he's the type to raise them as most players will only call with that, also possibly some overpairs that reasoned "I'll just call to let the MP fish come along" preflop. Of course given that the board is so dry, it's also possible villain has complete air and is just trying to buy the pot with a cheap raise.

Overall I don't hate calling if you think he's capable of bluffing there, I'd probably if I was in position. As played we're out of position, possibly up against hands we're 2-outing against and with no idea if villain is ever capable of bluffing (and if he is, how far he's willing to barrel with his bluffs). By the way even if he's bluffing, he probably have overcards that has 6-outs twice to improve to beat us for around 25% equity.

So it's usually best to cut your losses on the flop without further reads, as envisioning a call down out of position, possibly with a 2-outer, in the best case scenario with villain still winning the pot by improving with overs a quarter of the time, without reads, is more a nightmare scenario then anything else when you're trying to play profitable poker.

Hope it helps.