$32.62
      CO:
      $13.75
      BU:
      $36.87
      SB:
      $18.15

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, SB raises to $1.75, BB folds, Hero raises to $6.00, SB calls $4.25.

Flop: ($12.25) A, A, 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $12.15, Hero calls $12.15.

Turn: ($36.55) 3 (2 players)

River: ($36.55) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $36.55.

Hi!

Villain is unknown, but fishy play in first couple of hands. I know min3b mean strenght most of the time but I have seen bad players do that with pp and A rags. That is why I decided to place a 4b. Flop is relatively dry and I see him pushing his stack in with smaller pocket pairs.

So should I have played call preflop and maybe calldown onwards?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Depends what benefits you can get out of calling in position against that particular villain. You construct some ranges to the best of your ability and decide broadly what he's likely to do with those.

Some spazzy villains will min3bet trash and monsters alike, just to 5-bet KK+ and fold to a 4-bet with the rest. In that situation there is nothing to be gained by 4-betting, so it's usually a better play to call in position and let him bluff away his stack with his garbage hands if he so wishes. If you're up against a guy who just doesn't bet his bad hands postflop once he get called preflop, you don't gain much by just calling either except the confidence that if he's not c-betting he doesn't have KK+.

Some villains will min3bet the same range, but they're capable of randomly calling 4-bets with awful hands and/or 5-bet shoving worse hands than QQ. In that case it's best just to 4-bet preflop and go with it, the fact that you'll run sometimes into KK+ not being enough to make the play unprofitable.

Personally I tend to always just call when in doubt even with stuff like QQ, just because it's not worth jamming in ~80bb into KK+ (which he can have for sure) when he might never have worse hands at all.

As played on the flop I'm not folding either. AA7 is somewhat bad since the type of player that randomly calls 4-bets can and will do so with trashy Ax hands just to flop an Ace, but still once you decide to 4-bet preflop you can't just fold on a paired board against villains spazzy enough to jam there every pocket pair for no good reason.

Hope it helps.