This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Career Update #3

• WarGawd
      WarGawd
      Bronze
      It's been a few weeks since I've posted a progress report.

After cashing out ~1/2 of my $800 BR to fund another site, I encountered some software problems with the new site's poker client. That turned out to be fortunate because...

In the following 3 weeks I encountered a SEVERE downswing which almost eliminated my remaining $400 BR. I would get deep in my tourneys only to get sucked out on just around the money bubble or just after making the FT, and in the cash games I was encountering a ridiculous string of bad beats. At first I maintained my composure, but as that downswing wore on, I started to let my frustration dictate some of my play (eg too afraid to go all-in with KK convinced that the opponent had AA when in fact he showed a bluff)

So I got down to my last few $ in the 1/2 BR, and decided to re-deposit what I had taken out. I set a new rule that says I can only pay for tourney & SNG buy-ins up to 1/2 of my cash game profits for the day. As well I instituted a personal 10% BR stop loss rule for my cash game play...If I go below that I stop for the day and focus my poker energy into books, forums, hand review etc.

Then I took a day off (1st time in months, as I've been chasing my PT/PAHUD licenses), and started rebuilding. Decided I was adequately BR'd for NL$25, and I'm very comfortable playing at that level (I am also now very comfortable at NL$50, and play there often, just don't want to take too many BR risks at this stage). The first day saw me start to rebuild the BR with a small profit after funding a few small SNG's.
      Day 2 was yesterday, and I decided to play an $11 SNG while fresh, and took that down for $50. On the 3 cash tables I was playing, I tripled up on one, doubled up on another and broke even on the 3rd in a 2 3/4 hour period for another $80 or 58 ptBB/hr!! Later tonite I'll post a HH showing the shock and surprise of one opponent when I slow played a flopped nut straight with Royal Flush redraw against his Ax that turned a 2pair....wheeee :-)

Nice to be back :D

Other news...I missed hitting King status on Party by <100 points this quarter, that should be a lock by December....then I get to play a nice freeroll because of that. As of the last PS update, I have enough points for PT/PAHUD...been a grind but that should add a few $$ to my win rate, especially as I bought myself a really sweet poker playing PC- 2.4Ghz Quad core processor pentium with 500Gb HDD, 2Gb ram and mated to a magnificient Samsung Syncmaster 245BW 24" LCD!!!....should make running 6 tables and PT/PAHUD a breeze :D :D .

The freeroll I mentioned in my last update is no longer an ongoing promo, but I have assurance from the poker room manager that he will honor it anyway in my case...

Lastly, I am in hot pursuit of the Red Hot Poker Tour Red Club tourney leaderboard top spot. If I get one of the top 2 or 3, I gain entry in the Tournament of Champions against a slim field of 125 or so, all competing for a seat at a WPT event.

EDIT: Neglected to mention I have started reading poker books. 1st one was Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book (not much value, sorry Phil). I am now 1/5 of the way through HOH II...excellent book, more for tourney play. So far, I am discovering I am already aware of the concepts described, even if I wouldn't have used the same words to describe it. I also find a few cases where I disagree with his approach, but I know/understand why he advocated it...the difference is likely one of style and I suspect I'm a bit more agressive than he is. Wondering though if I made a mistake reading HOH II before HOH I. And I also borrowed Sklansky's FTOP...haven't started that yet.

That's all for now
      WarGawd
  • 3 replies
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      400$ bankroll is indeed a bit low for tournament play. you can expect great varience there... (if you get lucky soon then that variance is great)
    • WarGawd
      WarGawd
      Bronze
      Hi sismis -

My max MTT B/I was restricted to $11, and I played that at most twice a day, usually just once. I also only played one $6 MTT and one $2 MTT, so on average, MTT buyin was ~$6 and so I had ~ 70 buyins. Couple that with the fact that the SNGs were mostly single table $11 & $6 ones with vastly lower variance (ordinarily<---edit spelling). I would usually have a reasonable expectation given previous +'ve ROI on those of offsetting some of the variance in the MTTs
      Finally, I still maintained a presence in the ring games, which should really have the lowest variance, and I would think that I'd expect profits there to offset MTT variance (ie buyin losses) to a degree as well.

So yes, if I was exclusively playing MTT's I would set my BR requirements higher. My 1-table SNG and ring games should have allowed me to operate with fewer MTT buyins I think....agree/disagree?

Thx
      WarGawd
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi WarGawd!

Nice to read that you are back on track. 58 PTBB/hr. is a great winrate :D But don't expect that too often in a session.

Concerning your tournament play: I think it is better if you stay with cash games first until our SnG and tournament area is finished. I have the impression that you switch from here to there and don't concentrate on one thing. Also reading Harrington on Holdem II before reading I shows that you don't seem to have a clear concept. Without concentrating on one thing and not having a clear learning concept your winrate will be negatively influenced.
      To cut a long story short: I recommend that you concentrate on cash games and build your bankroll. As soon as our new strategy area is finished: read the articles and start playing. Read HOH I, II and III and post hands to get advice in the forum.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81