Harpooning fish from the aquarium in NL10

• Ertzi
      Hello Pokerstrategy members :)

First of all sorry my english, its not my "mother language" so try to understand me :)

My name is Erno and i am 24 year old poker "newbie" from Finland. I have played poker a little in my past by whoring bonuses from various different websites and poker rooms including pokerstrategy 8).

Now before i begin i must admit that i am still not even average poker player but i wish to seek advice here and keep my blog here alive.

So yesterday i started grinding NL 10 SSS at Everest Poker and before i started i read all the bronze articles about SSS and then i began. Immediatly i noticed the amount of really bad players (yes even worse than me) and was really happy about it. But what i noticed too was that in the fishy aquarium there were some really good players and rocks in the table so spotting the fish is really important so you know if your hand is good enough.
      What i also noticed that there were lot of players using BSS and stealing the blinds from poor SSS player :evil: .

Anyway at the moment i am doing quite ok and i will post graphs and some hands on the next posts i will be doing and continue grinding. But before that i list some pro's and con's of my own play in my opinion and then the pro's and con's of Everest Poker.

Pro's of me:
      -I have pretty much followed the starting hand chart of pokerstrategy on SSS strategy but sometimes make my own variations that keep me better in profit.

-I have trained a good eye at everest on spotting fish so that i can take maximum value from them.

Con's of me:
      -I tend to chase flush draws and straight draws sometimes if player(s) who are in the hand only raises little.

-I still raise AQ 4x bb from almost any position if no one has raised before me. I know this is wrong but somehow i cant fold AQ yet.

-When i have AK and i raise and someone calls and the flop doesn't hit i tend to stick on that hand (even after my continuation bet was raised). I think this is because i think that they have hands such as AT,AJ or AQ.

-I also have bad tendency of playing 88,99,TT,JJ,QQ very badly after flop. For example if i have 88 and the flop is T T 4 i go all in because i don't think that the opponent has T on their hand but they usually do =(. Also if i have for example QQ and the flop is for example A T 5 i usually can't fold my QQ if the opponent has raised because i think that my QQ is still the strongest hand, even though the flop is horrible because of the ace.

Pro's of Everest Poker
      -They with cooperation with Pokerstrategy gave me 50$ starting capital so that for first :)

-Lots of European Fish at the tables which are easy to harpoon from the aquarium

Con's of Everest Poker
      -Not too many player's except during peek times (this is why playing SSS is quite hard because you run out of tables pretty fast since there is that 45minute penalty from leaving the table that you need to take atleast the same amount which doesnt ofcourse work with SSS).

-I personally don't like the software because it feels "sluggish" and you can't automatically resize tables and even if you do them manually they are still pretty big so i need to use PokerWin Manager to make those tables more to my liking (smaller).

And then finally my goals i wish to achieve:
      -Clear the 1000 summit points to clear the no deposit bonus
      -Reach 250$ playing NL10 so i can continue to NL25.
      -Avoid tilts and become stronger player!

Thanks for reading up to this point and now i will start posting graphs and hands which are interesting. Please comment back and help me in anyway possible (criticism is always welcome ofcourse too).
  • 2 replies
    • Ertzi
      So as i promised i post some hands and maybe graph later when i have more played hands.

So first i show you the super monster hand i got with AQ and how i played with it.

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, Q (Kommentoi)
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, 3 folds, BB calls $0,30.

Flop: ($0,85) A, Q, Q (2 players) (Kommentoi)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0,85) J (2 players) (Kommentoi)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0,85) T (2 players) (Kommentoi)
      BB bets $0,35, Hero raises to $1,80 (All-In), BB calls $1,45.

Final Pot: $4,45

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows täyskäsi, rouvat ja ässät (As Qc)
      BB shows kaksi paria, ässät ja rouvat (Ad 8c)

Hero wins with täyskäsi, rouvat ja ässät (As Qc)
      So here you can see that people basically smooth call your raises with any A they have in their hands (thats why i still play AQ). Also sorry about some finnish language in there but thats because i am playing with finnish language on the Everest Poker and the PS elephant is set to finnish too.

But basically täyskäsi means fullhouse, rouvat means queens, ässät means aces and kaksi paria means two pairs.

So that was a good hand but now i show you how bad things can go when i can't let go.

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with T, T (Kommentoi)
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0,40, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0,40, 6 folds.

Flop: ($0,95) J, 8, 9 (2 players) (Kommentoi)
      Hero bets $1,39 (All-In), MP1 calls $1,39.

Turn: ($3,73) K (Kommentoi)
      River: ($3,73) A (2 players) (Kommentoi)

Final Pot: $3,73

Hero shows pari kympit (Td Th)
      MP1 shows kaksi paria, kuninkaat ja jätkät (Kd Js)

MP1 wins with kaksi paria, kuninkaat ja jätkät (Kd Js)
      I know i shouldnt have even raised TT from UTG1 but i raised anyway and then this happens =) I started to chase the OESD and tried to semibluff myself the pot.

So again Kympit means Tens, kuninkaat means kings and jätkät means jacks.

So i will keep updating when i see some interesting hands but for now i don't have that many. And btw here is the graph i have atm from elephant.

-So again to translate "isoa blindia" means "big blinds" and "dollari" means "dollar" duh?

Started from 50$ current bankroll: 87,52$

Uhh, and one last thing my VP$IP is 8,1 at the moment so is that good or bad for NL10 SSS? And what can i do to make it better if its bad =P
    • Ertzi
      So i decided to take a small session before the NL10 tables are almost all empty because its european poker site and its over midnight here in Europe.

In that session i saw ALOT of fish. i mean ALOT! People went all in with just about anything. i guess you could say that many of them could have been drunk and thats why they played so poorly but who knows.

Anyway since i didn't play alot i didn't meet many interesting hand's but there is one extremely interesting hand i met with my AA

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A (Kommentoi)
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0,10, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0,10, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0,60, 4 folds, MP2 raises to $2,05, Hero calls $1,45 (All-In).

Flop: ($4,35) 8, T, 6 (Kommentoi)
      Turn: ($4,35) 5 (Kommentoi)
      River: ($4,35) J (2 players) (Kommentoi)

Final Pot: $4,35

Hero shows väri, jätkä korkuinen (Ad Ah)
      MP2 shows väri, jätkä korkuinen (3d 3c)

Hero wins with väri, jätkä korkuinen (Ad Ah)
      MP2 wins with väri, jätkä korkuinen (3d 3c)
      -So basically as you can see i raise to 0,60$ because there were two limpers before me and then MP2 goes all in and i ofcourse call it. When i saw the flop (they were all clubs) i was like omfg no more clubs and then turn was a club i was devastated (because opponent had 3 of clubs. But gladly the last card was club too (bigger than the club card opponent had) and we got split pot since every community card was a club.

So thats about that session. Its probably last of my sessions today since there is barely no NL10 tables left. I'll see if they get filled up though.

Current bankroll: 94,96$