My NL5 graph so far, major leak present???

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      OK guys, finally figured out how to post a graph. Here is my graph on NL5 so far.

Obviously it sucks that I'm $60 under EV, if I had those $60 I'd have enough $ between that profit and rakeback for NL10. :s_mad:

But that really isn't the point. The massive difference between my showdown and non-showdown winnings worries me. Is this normal, or am I looking at a massive leak? For example I'm not playing aggresive enough postflop?

I think something that underlines this is something that came to my attention when analyzing our stats with a fellow NL5er. For starters, he has a completely opposite graph, big nonshowdown winnings and big showdown losses. But this stat really staggered me :

He wins 86% of the time with AK - almost as much as with AA!! :s_o:
      I win only 66% of the time with AK.

Is his AK win rate abnormal or is mine subpar? :s_confused:

If anything this would confirm my lack of enough aggresiveness postflop. He evidently gets people to fold almost all the time with even just overcards, while I tend to go to showdown when I'm ahead and fold/check/call only on the river when my hand is of marginal value. Am I playing really bad or is this just normal ie some people are more aggresive some are less but both can make money?

I do realize the almost completely obvious fact that if I were to reduce my nonshowdown losses, while maintaining my showdown winnings I'd be making much more, but wouldn't being more aggresive lead to more marginal situations and a corresponding drop in showdown winnings?
  • 4 replies
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Hey,

it's not necessarily a leak.
      When you play against loose passive people you can't bluff them so your non-showdown winnings are naturally negative: most of the time you c/f when you don't hit so you rarely win money without showdown.
      Also you bet and if someone passive raises you fold eveerything except for strong hands - even more non-SD losses.

Having said that, while your non-SD winnings are negative your SD-winnings are usually much higher and compensate easily for the non-SD losses.

But don't develop a false sense of security, when you're starting out playing NL5 there's probably still a lot to learn for you and usually almost everyone has leaks - so always keep working on your game.

It's the moment you think you mastered the game that you're doomed to lose ;) .

Best regards
      Bierbaer
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I am playing NL5 at the moment too and thought I'd show you my graph as it's normal to look like yours. Mine is very similar.

As Bierbaer says though, you should still be looking for leaks.
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      As Bierbaer says though, you should always be looking for leaks.
      FYP ;)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Apologies sir :P