[NL20-NL50] NL50 FR Ts in CO

• dylboi011
      ABC reg, 20/10/17/2.9 fold to 3bet is 20%
      WTSD 26% WTS$D 56%

should i be 3betting and am just unlucky here that he 4bets, or is cold calling IP better?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($48.90)
      BB ($19.27)
      UTG ($33.92)
      UTG+1 ($44.69)
      UTG+2 ($62.76)
      MP1 ($30.34)
      MP2 ($70.73)
      CO ($49.95)
      Hero ($50.50)

Dealt to Hero T:diamond: T:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP2 raises to $2, fold, Hero raises to $6.75, fold, fold, MP2 raises to $15, fold

MP2 wins $14.25
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

It looks like a relatively small sample size, small enough that we're not even sure he's a reg by looking at his stats only. I'll follow your reads tho.

Personally I'm just calling there the majority of the time, because if he's really a reg he's not going to be calling our 3-bet out of position with anything that we're really crushing. Maybe he calls with stuff like 77-99 and some broadways that we're flipping with, together with sometimes better JJ+ hands that we'll valuecut ourselves against postflop. If he's bad he might add small pocket pairs and less than stellar broadways in there as well. Overall we don't really have a big equity edge against such a range, and truthfully against those hands everything will be decided on the flop. Either they'll hit then check/call or check/shove the flop and we'll be 2-outing, or they'll whiff and they'll check/fold to a c-bet, meaning us having TT is pretty much irrelevant.

That's why during reg-on-reg violence at small-stakes, people usually 3-bet with a polarized range. Either they're very strong and they know for sure they'll valuebet their hands to the end, or they're very weak and they know at the first sign of resistance it's no use continuing and they can easily fold their bad hands. This way they can still 3-bet with a decently high frequency because of the added weak hands that serve as bluffs, and they get to not waste good but not great hands by 3-bet/folding them against people who mostly play 4-bet or fold against 3-bets out of position.

Hope it helps.