improving your HU play in end of SNG

• miskokvo
      hi guys, im playing 45mans and i have big dificulty to wining HU ..

i have sample size of 9 000 of those and my finishing positions are:
      1th 2.8%
      2nd 3.5%
      3d 3.6%
      4th 3.9%

this thing hugely afect my ROI .. i want to look like

i know i probably mayking mistake playing too tigh ... not playing for win.. im already working on that ..

but i cant find anything to improve my HU end game skills..can you guys help me? post some literature,books, link to vids etc..

i know NASH and ICM...SAGE.. but it doesnt work for me .. maybe i have too short sample size coz of those 9k tournies i maybe played like 700HU.. and variance coluld be pretty heavy i think on those

my mayor problem is playing 10-25BB ... :(

pls help thanks
  • 3 replies
    • pzhon
      It's a common misconception that your ratio of first place to second place finishes reflects your heads-up play. In fact, your heads-up play has little to do with whether you place first more than second when you play tournaments with 6 or more players.

To get more first place finishes, you want to go into the heads-up portion of the tournament with more chips. Once you get there, a huge skill difference only gives you a couple percent more, since the blinds are often high and the cards play themselves. If you want more wins, work on accumulating chips more throughout the tournament, particularly by pushing aggressively near the bubble.

My coauthor Collin Moshman has a book Heads-Up No-Limit Hold'em. It looked pretty good when I skimmed it before playing Collin in some HU SNGs.

You should not use a fixed range opening range when you are heads-up. The hands you raise should depend on the stack depth. You can open a wide range at 30 bb, but you have to tighten up around 15-20 bb when it is convenient for your opponent to resteal all-in, and then you should loosen up as the stacks get shorter and you open-push. Also, it is more efficient to reduce the size of your raises when the stacks are shorter. Even if you raise to 3 bb with deeper stacks, raise to 2.5 bb or less when the stacks are 25 bb or less.

One rule of thumb that I use for stacks over 20 bb is to open T5o and 84s, as well as some lower suited connectors.
    • Mart1
      you need to be comfortable playing T5o postflop if you raise it. The best way to improve your HU Game is to read mentioned book and play like 500 Heads UP SNGs. This will result in an immense skill boost. I also found the videos from very useful.
    • chenny8888
      just watched one of their free videos by Cog Dissonance. He plays so incredibly weird, i fail to see how it's profitable.

The other videos... i don't rate very highly either tbh.

May seem like a shameless plug but by far the best vids on hu sng i've seen have been by trader or trader+jlittle on this site although i'm aware a lot of you don't have the status to view those.