[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #10

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

fold
        71%
        call
        18%
        raise to $4
        10%
        push all-in
        2%
        raise to $5
        0%
      Total: 51 Votes
  • 17 replies
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      Feels like slowplayed set to me, I would fold. Well, maybe on this limit calling would be good but generally I wouldn't have problems folding it.

edit* didn't see the preflop action. I would call based on the SB limping.. Hero should've raised pf though ;)
    • miljak
      miljak
      Bronze
      Dont think he had an overpair since he did not raise on the preflop and flop, whould have been a deffo raise for me.
    • gutshotstraightdraw
      gutshotstraightdraw
      Bronze
      Easy call. What should he have?
    • Qastorimon
      Qastorimon
      Bronze
      I'd fold. Maybe slowplaying a set, maybe he hit his 2nd pair on the turn. His cr is really aggresive and not much chance we will improve on the river.

And there's a little error, pf SB calls $0,05, not $0,10 (and 7 folds)
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Hero really did not play this well, and continuing other people's badly played hands is always a bit of a headache.

The obvious: a raise of any size is 95% bluff here even at NL10, and not a profitable one.

If we call, we have a bit of a problem. The pot will be about 40bb, which is about as large as we can optimistically expect to get away with at the end of the hand and still be +EV and there's still the river action to come. Fortunately we're in position.

The check/raise is a bit odd as with a strong hand like a set or two pair (98 for example) betting out on the turn is likely to work better for building a pot as it could realistically expect to be met with a raise by a reasonable hand in this blind battle. But I'm far from confident that the SB is bluffing or value betting a weaker hand and protection doesn't make sense either, the 8d is practically a brick.

Our hand is a bluffcatcher in this spot, the question is whether we think that the SB is bluffing / mistakenly value betting a weaker hand often enough. So it's a question of effective odds... and after doing some estimates that I've deleted from the post because they're too long, I think they're probably in our favour.

Hero calls and checks behind if possible on the river, otherwise he has a bluff catching decision.

Folding isn't terrible if Hero doesn't think he has the information to make that decision well. The rest of the hand was pretty awful though.
    • miljak
      miljak
      Bronze
      I dont know the pot size after the flop but the raise wasnt strong enough, you got top pair with the best kicker... 15ct seems a bit low to me.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      The size of the pot on each street is in the converted hand history. You can subtract 1 cent for rake if you like, but it's 20 cents. On which note, when the hell did party start raking 1 cent per dollar right the way up to NL2k (that's right, all but ONE limit where the rake is always maxed anyway) instead of just in the micros?
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      We're getting approximately 2:1 on our money here, which is good but not great. If Villain is a known bluffer, I'd call. Else, I'd fold. You basically have no idea what you're up against: 1 pair, 2 pair, a set. When I'm in the dark, it's best to keep the pots small. That condition isn't fullfilled anymore, so I'd fold and wait for a better opportunity.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      SB could limp in with overpair or he could hit his set. Can´t see much hands that we would win here. Easy fold. Btw, I would raise pre-flop^^
    • miljak
      miljak
      Bronze
      If he had an overpair or a set he would have raised after the flop or pre flop? Or he is slowplaying his better card or he is just plain bluffing imo :]
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      A big slowplay from preflop is an unnecessary worry, slowplays are usually either for one street, until your opponent stops being aggressive, until a dangerous card is drawn or right to the river. A one street slowplay from the flop is possible on the other hand.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Fold. The pot is not worth any action and our hand is only medium. He could have a set, 2 pairs or overpair.
      His limp pf could be anything, including small/ medium pockets. Hero played wrong though. Should have raised pf. he would have a much better reading if he did
    • LC55CL
      LC55CL
      Bronze
      I'll fold for sure here, no point in getting commited in a big pot with that hand especially at this limit where there will be plenty of opportunities to take his money.

I'll never call here, if my profiling indicates me that Vilain is 1/ a turn bluffer or 2/ capable of doing this move with a weaker holding 9T,9J,...; I'll reraise him all in.
      I think calling is a bad play. If you think your hand is best you go all in if not you fold.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      By raising you just lose the most when you're behind and win the least when you're ahead. It's the worst of all options.
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      I'd check behind on the turn, but now i guess it's a fold.
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Bronze
      I would fold here. The pot is small before his raise, our hand is medium. Fold is safe option without risking much chips. If we call, there will be problem with another bet on the river (looks like villain has 89). As mentioned before I would raise preflop.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      70% were correct here:

On the turn appears a blank. We have a marginal hand and want to play a small pot. The SB checks and we bet again. It is our plan to bet again on the turn to protect against overcards and to get a free showdown on the river. But we are getting a raise. SB wants to play for a big pot. If we call, the pot on the river would be $4.10 and we have to expect another bet on the river. If SB bets $3 on the river we would play for a pot on the river which is ~$10. Since we don't want to do this with our marginal hand we fold on the turn.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81