[NL2-NL10] Instructional sample hands #10

• Poll
    • What is the correct move here and why?

leave the table
      Total: 36 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Sometimes it happens that we get reraised after we raised preflop. Normally we would stick to the stack size:raise size ratio according to the short stack strategy. We move all-in or fold our hand.

Sometimes you have the feeling that you have the worse hand and only move all-in because you play strictly according to the strategy.

But when you develop your game and move on with the short stack strategy it becomes more and more important that you play according to equity. That means that we put our opponent on a hand range and calculate whether we get more money back than we put into the pot. We calculate whether we have enough equity.

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Hero: UTG+2 20 BB
      Villian: BU 21 BB (short stack strategy player)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+22 with J:club: , J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 5 folds, BU raises to $2.10, Hero???
  • 5 replies
    • Nogatsira
      Lets take a look:
      He's reraising with JJ+, AKo+, AKs+.
      Put that range into the beautifull tool named Equilator ;) against our jacks and we come out with 37.2 winning equity.
      We have to put in 1.60 more (effective stacksize) to win 2.40.

Therefor it's a call.
    • Berliner1982
      On this limits its a no brainer Call, since some bad SSS Player would push here with TT and AQs as well. On a midstack limit like NL $100 or higher it would be an easy fold, since only AK, QQ+ would push here against an SSS who raised from UTG.

So unless I know that he is a good thing SSS Player I call, otherwise I fold.
    • Mystrapoker
      My gut feeling is that I should fold here. Because if he's a shortstack strategy player he's supposed to re-raise me 3x my bet. He reraised to like 5.5x my bet. Which mean he probably did it very fast and didn't think about it. He went all-in, that spell "Im sure to win" to me. But hey, it's probably because I lost 4 times in a row this morning with situation like that that Im saying that. (QQ, AK, KK, JJ against AA, or AK each time...)
    • Kaitz20
      Against SSS player autofold, even at NL 10 level
    • Puschkin81
      Close decision. Here is the solution:

According to the short stack strategy we have an easy call because our stack size:raise size ratio is 4:1.

But what about the equity?
      A good SSS player will reraise our UTG raise only with AA and KK. Without dead money in the pot he will also fold QQ because he has only 47% equity against our range.
      No we can use the Equilator to calculate how much equity we have against this range:

Equity / Win / Tie / Loss / Hand
      Player 1: 18.683 % / 18.475 % / 0.416 % / 81.109 % JJ
      Player 2: 81.317 % / 81.109 % / 0.416 % / 18.475 % KK+

We only have 18.68 % equity. That means we are getting 18.68 % of the money which is in the pot.

Now we have to calculate how much we have to call and calculate how much we will get back in the long run:

We have to call 16 BB and the pot will be 41.5 BB at the end (without calculating the rake)

What do we get?

41.5 x 0.1868 = ~ 7,75 BB.

That means we have to call 16BB but get only 7,75 BB back in the long run. That's definitely a losing deal. We have to fold.

This example is very simple but it shows how important it is to develop your game. If you are not sure what to do: play according to the strategy. But especially for the SSS it becomes more and more important to play according to equity the higher the limits you play.

Good luck at the tables!