[NL20-NL50] NL50 - 89s on button. Wrong river bluff?

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 798258
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): $50.00
      SB: $66.00
      BB: $55.80
      UTG: $51.95
      MP: $41.95
      CO: $83.00

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with 8 :diamond: 9 :diamond:
      2 folds, CO calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.75) K :spade: T :club: 7 :diamond: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $3, CO calls $3

Turn: ($10.75) A :heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $7, CO calls $7

River: ($24.75) 4 :heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $16, CO calls $16

Okay after the turn brings an ace which hits my range, i figured a double barrel was fine here. After he flats i wasn't sure what he had, possibly thinking it was a K or a draw, which is the reason i bet again on the river, should i have just gave up once he calls the turn?
  • 2 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I think you have very nice Turn check here. There are just to many hands he won't fold and we got one free card to complete our straight.

As you played now after he called Turn you cannot bluff. There is not really many draw hands.

So i think that it is very difficult to produce enough fold equity in such a spot.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think your line is fine against another reg that can actually fold a K by the river.

Against a guy who started by limp/calling preflop tho, you shouldn't really expect him to fold a lot in general. And while the A hits your range decently, this opponent doesn't understand that. Maybe he understands on some level that it's "scary", that's about it. Also, it's a good card for his range as well, since bad players will call on that flop with a lot of AQ/AJ gutshots as well as JT/KJ/KQ type hands that pick up a nutted gutshot when the A turns. So your fold equity in that spot is a lot lower than it would be against a reg.

I don't think betting the turn is horrible at all, just overall dicey. Especially if villain can make weird check/raises with hands that look like combo hands, it's fine to check back the turn instead. On the river you'll get him to fold Tx/98/QJ, maybe bad Kx hands but probably not. You can check it back most of the time, when you do try to bluff you don't need to bet so big to make those specific hands fold, so I'd go for something like $9.

Hope it helps.