Lindberg -> Playing the 18 man sngs. (:

• Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Introduction
      So this is my 3rd blog, I doubt anyone but me remembers the other two, but anyway this is where I'm gonna keep track of my latest mtt experience, and hopefully get inputs from you guys about strategy and stuff.
      I'm 21 years old from Denmark, and have been playing sngs and mtts with some success, last at the 90 man KO's at Fulltilt. But now I'm gonna focus on turbo structered mtts and sng mtts at stars. The reason for this change is that the structure for stars turbo mtts are way better than Fulltilts - specially if you compare the 180 man vs 90 man KO's, the reason I haven't made this change before was because I didn't have the bankroll for both sites (as I need to play on Fulltilt to get my monthly 100 ps.com point to keep silver). But now the adventure begins. =)

Gameplan, Goals and VoI
      The gameplan is that I'm gonna be playing turbo tourneys at stars and 135 man rush tourneys at Fulltilt. My overall plan this summer is to get to the 7.7$ 180 mans at stars with 200 BI as standard brm. But to get my focus away from $ and shit I'm gonna use JuiceQuadre's VoI system idea, but a little different.
      I'm starting at 0 VoI
      :diamond: Every article read or reread gives 1 VoI
      :diamond: Every video watched or rewatched gives 3 VoI
      :diamond: Every book read or reread gives 10 VoI
      :diamond: Every coaching gives 5 VoI
      :diamond: Every 5 hand looked over and thought about/discussed in hand forum gives 1 VoI
      :diamond: Every 100 hands trained with ICM Trainer gives 1 VoI
      :diamond: Every 4.4$ tourney gives 1 VoI (2.2$ tourneys gives 0.5 VoI obviously)

So starting at 0 VoI the weekly goal is gonna be 100 VoI.
      And the monthly goal is gonna be 350 VoI.

I'm gonna update every day that I play to keep track of my progress in VoI, so an update is comming tonight already. Thanks for reading.
      Take care. :f_cool:
  • 22 replies
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      So I forgot to update last night, was kind of tired.
      But had a good nights sleep and I'm gonna work full speed today with analysing and playing a lot.
      Yesterday I played 5 4.4$ tourneys (4*rush 135 man and 1 big mtt), 15 2.2$ tourneys (180 mans) and 2*1.1$ 45 man (had to try them).
      To sum up that's 5*1 + 15*0.5 + 2*0.25 = 13 VoI :)

And with a big session and my newly ordered 7 books arriving today I'll get the 100 VoI this week. :f_cool:

That's it for now. Update again tonight.
      Take care.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Again I forgot to update last night.
      But here it is, I played 8 2.2$ 180 mans and a 3.3$ mtt. That's a total of 4.75 VoI. So far this week I'm at 17.75 VoI, so have a lot of ground to cover these next couple of days.

Updating tonight - this time I'm actually doing it.

Take care. :)
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Yeah, I said I would update tonight. :)

But, actually, I haven't played today, but have been reading some (Kill everyone).
      So got a lot of catching up to do the next couple of days. Tomorrow I'm gonna watch the sng video "the golden rule", and play a lot and if I have the time read another chapter of kill everyone.

So I'll update tomorrow night. VoI's still at 17.75.
      Take care.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Update time again.
      Today was kind of disapointing, didn't feel I played my best and therefore played a set of sngs instead of mtts.
      But played 12* 2.2$, 1* 3.3$ and 1* 1.1$ mtts for a total of 7 VoI.
      I also watched "the golden rule" which I found quite nice. That's another 3 VoI.
      I'm giving myself 1 VoI for the set of 6* 2.25$ sngs.
      Todays a total of 11 VoI, and I have also read another chapter of "Kill everyone".

Total VoI 28.75.

Updating again tomorrow.
      Take care. :)
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      It's funny that no1 is responding..Anyway, I am currently playing Pokerstars 180 turbos also at 2 dollar stakes, pld 200 games so far up 350 dollars. I've pld up to 12/180 in the past with 5k winnings in a week, but had to stop for personal reasons and I am starting from scratch, so we are in similar sittuation atm. I will keep track of this

GL
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Update time again. So I didn't play much at all today cause I really felt I was playing my c-game yesterday and I felt sort of the same this morning when playing, therefore I used the day to study instead.
      So played 9* 2.2$ 180 mans for 4.5 VoI. I rewatched the two first videos in Aarons 180 man series for 6 VoI, and I also finished "Kill everyone" for 10 VoI. Total of 20.5 VoI today. Total for the week so far 49.25 VoI, so I'm just halfway with my goal and only have 2 days left, but I'll get there. :f_cool:

I found the studying today very nice and specially "kill everyone" gave me some new ideas and also confirmed a lot of knowledge that i sort of had figured out but wasn't 100% certain about, the same goes for the 180 man series which (re)showed me that what I'm doing is the way to go about it.
      So all in all I think a day of studying was just what I needed, so tomorrow and sunday I'll be playing a lot to get to the 100 VoI. :)

Zemammuth: Don't know if people not responding is funny, but thanks for being first. :P

That's it for now. Updating again tomorrow. :f_cool:
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Yeah, so I was supposed to play a lot today, and I did early this morning, but I missed my evening set due to real life commitments.
      But I played 13* 2.2 turbo 180 mans with bad results again today. Really not feeling I'm playing optimally. :f_confused:
      I have read a lot today (200 pages) instead of playing, been reading "Winning poker tourneys 1 hand at a time vol. 1" and find it very nice and a great way to learn. It also made me wanna play some deep tourneys or at least normal speed tourneys so that I'm not only playing push/fold poker.
      So tommorrow I'm gonna play a lot of tourneys with deep stacks and some rebuy tourneys. I'm also gonna play ps.com freeroll and the Big Little tourney maybe also Double Deuce but if it's in rush format I don't think I really want to.

But made some VoI points today 6.5 to be exact which with the week so far adds up to 55.75 VoI, and with my book almost finished and with a lot of play tommorrow I think I might get to the 100 VoI.

Updating tommorrow after shipping the freeroll. :P
      Take care.
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Interesting VoI thing. Can you link me to the original idea for this?

Overall a good blog that probably hasn't got much credit due to the lack of MTT coverage on poker strategy. I used to play MTTs during my second year at uni (with some surprising success mostly caused by variance) and i found a pretty good blog by this guy called Bond18 that's really worth reading. Especially the 'things it took me a while to learn' series.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Fryandspicy thanks for stopping by, and yeah that blog actually looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing. :)
      The original idea was JuiceQuadre's his blog should be easy to find in the forum.

Update: Have played more hours than usually (still playing.. Damn rebuys take forever) but actually haven't played that many tourneys. I have had loads of fun, something I haven't had in sometime while playing at least, always loved the studying. :D
      Anyway, played 8* 2.2 $ tourneys, 2* 4.4, 2*3.3 and one 11$ deepstack and the micromania ept london tourney for 1.1$. I also played a set of 6 2.25$ sngs.
      In VoI that adds up to about 12 VoI so not at all what I had planned, and I'm not near my weekly goal of 100 VoI, I'm at 67.75 BUT I'm almost done with one more book. :) That counts for a little, but I'm not happy that I haven't put in enough volume. Have a lot of catching up to do next week if I am to reach the monthly target of 350 VoI.
      About my overall play this week it has been kind of bad. My best play has actually been today, and I still have made some pretty big mistakes. I have really enjoyed playing normal structured tourneys today and deep stack play has been so fun, and most players don't have a clue what to do with their overpairs 200 bb deep. But if I need to put in some volume if I want any chance of beating mtts, therefore I think I have to stick with the 180 man turbos and occasionally, maybe on sundays play these deep stack tourneys and have fun with that.
      But I need to consider all of this and maybe think of playing some other sngs 9 mans, 18 mans or 45 mans to lower variance? But don't know right now, I'm kind of tired and this tourney just goes on to like forever.
      But I'm hanging in there.

I'll update tommorow again.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      So updating again.
      Today I put in some of the volume that I need to beat these 180 man turbo tourneys. I played 38 of them which is a good amount of time when you are just 6 tabling. I good into some nice spots today and good my chips in good most of the time, was quite surprised what people are calling my shoves with when two tables left, I had two times where I resteal from BU after CO with steal percent of 75 open raises 3x (the standard for him) with 16 bb behind we had about even stack so I figured I'd resteal with T8s only to get called by QJo, I mean he was supposed to fold his trashy hands. But enough crying it's all about the long run, but I'm down 32 BI for today and it's kind of getting to me right now when thinking back on the day, but atleast it didn't bothered me while playing. :)

But 38 tourneys that's 19 VoI, of to a good start this week. Weekly goal is still 100, but I need to get more than that to get the monthly 350 VoI.
      Another thing I'll add to my VoI system is that for every day starting from tomorrow I'll lose a VoI if I haven't worked out.

That's it for now.
      Updating tomorrow. :f_cool:
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Already updated once but the darn internet connection didn't save the message, so just a quick update. 10 VoI for finishing "Winning poker tourneys one hand at a time vol. 1", nice read already started second one, and they both have helped improve my late game around bubble and when itm - was playing to loose :rolleyes: This helped me to have my first win at a 180 man. yeah me. :)

Played 9*2.2$ 180 man and one 4.4$ turbo tourney - total 5.5 VoI + 10 for reading.
      Total this week 34.5 VoI over a third of the way to weekly goal. :f_cool:

Updating tomorrow.
      Take care.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      So still have internet problems, and today it cost me several great spots to push in, so tomorrow my provider will get a call. :f_mad:

But anyway, I played 34* 2.2 180 man tourneys today and I also finished reading "Winning poker tourneys one hand at a time vol. 2" - A really good read those two books, really helped fix some leaks around bubble and when itm.
      I'm gonna start reading "Poker tourney formula" by Arnold Snyder soon but I think I need to spend some time grinding first as I really need more volume as I'm still around break even.. :f_cry:

But lets be positive I've at least put in some volume today and scored a VoI of 27 and with that I'm at 61.5 VoI so far this week. :)

I've already planned my August challenge - Getting silverstar. I've calculated it and I need to rake about 4.5$ a day which is 22.5 tourneys (2.2$ 180 man). I think it could be done if I grind a lot in weekends. I dont' think I can make it this month as I would need to rake 100$ these last 10 days which would mean 50*180 mans a day, and I'm only 6 tabling...
      Actually as I'm writing this I think I might wanna give it a try. I'll sleep on it and make my decision tomorrow.

That's it for now.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Bad update :(
      My internet is going to be fixed :) BUT this is the 27/7 - 5 days. :f_cry:
      So I can't really play the 180 mans cause when it's unstabil it cost me shoving spots.. Instead I'm gonna play at my fulltilt account to get some strategy point so I can remain silver, I'm gonna play the 6 man super turbos starting with the 1$ as I think starting with the 2$ with 35 BI is suicide. So gonna have fun doing that these next days, and gonna read a lot and practice with the icm trainer (already have a little and i disagree with it in several spots) and hopefully get a better understanding for shoving and calling ranges.

So the plan with maybe to get silverstar this month is cancelled and I will start that quest next month.

That's it for now, I'll update tueday when the connection is fixed but until that I'll be spamming the mtt hand evaluation forum. :f_cool:

Take care.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Yeah so my internet is going to be fixed tomorrow :f_biggrin:
      I'm really looking forward to play the 180 man again. I have been playing a little bit of everything even sh cash game the last couple of days to try and find a second game to grind on my ftp account, and today I think I found it in - 18 man turbos. Seems easy after playing a set of 10. But I'll play some more of them here tonight and tomorrow until the connection is fully functional, and then I'll tell tomorrow how it goes playing them.

On a sidenote I read the two Arnold Snyder formula books and I must admit they are the two worst poker books I have ever read. There were some concepts I could use but atleast 800 out of 900 pages was a waste of my time. Also read "Killer poker online 1 & 2" and they are also kind of bad - some tips for tilt control was good but besides that it wasn't really worth reading.
      So now I don't have more new books to read. :(
      But I'll re-read the sng articles from this site instead. :)

That's it for now.
    • Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze
      nice blog so far... :P
      do you use any HUD? I play the 2.20$ quite often as well and I think a HUD is really an improvement to your game :f_cool:
      Besides, I know that a lot of ppl talk about a certain volume ~ quantity. Obviously, the concepts of probabality and statistics only apply for a sufficient sample size BUT I think, that its actually more important to really put on your A game.
      I don't know how good your multi-tabling is though, but I would recommend playing as little as 4 tourney at a time. So don't focus too hard on reaching these VoI points - you should definately include a "winning rule" to this - if you finish 1st - 4th in 180 2.20$ you get an extra :P
      Well, actually all I wanted to get across is: quality > quantity... ;)
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Jehudas: Thanks..
      Yeah I agree with quality over quantity to a certain point.
      I'm playing 6 tables at a time and fill up if I bust out, I'm currently using pokertracker3 trial version (seems okay) and it helps me pick up info I've never used before really nice after playing without hud for 1½ year.

Update: I started playing the 180 man again today, only played 12 games and off to a bad start without a single cash, but it's okay I felt I played solid enough.
      I played some more 18 mans today and gonna keep playing them on my fulltilt account have 90ish$ so I'll be playing the 2.25$, I know it's only 40ish BI but I think I'll manage due to all the nice fishies. :f_biggrin:

I'm going on a little trip tonight and won't really be playing the next two days, but I'll return friday and saturday and play a lot and maybe make some changes to my game before August start and the grind for silverstar at stars begin.
      I have had a lot of sparetime due to the fact I really haven't been playing and I have made a plan of how to become gold here at ps.com - I just need to rake 400$ simple - Not while playing the 2.25$ 18 mans, therefore I decided to grind fulltilt a lot in August/Semptember so that I in October can make an attempt to get gold playing the 6.5$ 18 man at fulltilt.
      So from now on I will have two things to grind, but still with focus on the 180 mans.

That's pretty much it. I'll update sunday before starting my grind for silverstar.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Update: Been away from poker a few days and I'm ready to start the grind tomorrow for silverstar. While being away I have still had my mind on poker, and made som changes to the grinding plan in August.
      1. the main game will now be the 3.25$ turbo 45 man tourneys and the 2.2$ turbo 180 man will be second game. I will still be playing the 2.25$ turbo 18 man on fulltilt.
      2. The gold is to rake a minimum of 140$ at pokerstars and a minimum of 50$ at fulltilt poker.
      3. I will take 1 or 2 days of grinding off and use them for playing regular speed or deep stack tourneys. I can use up to 30$.
      4. Weekly analyse of my game + read/watch new material here on ps.com - Attend the mtt-coaching.

That's the gameplan for August and I will be updating every day that I play to keep track with my progress.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Update: Changing game to the 2.25$ turbo 18 man on ftp.
      Two reasons for this change. 1. I really don't like playing at stars, can't explain why. Also I can multitable more at ftp than at stars.
      2. Was reading Lennonac's old blog and saw his 3500 BE stretch with the 45 mans and it kind of scared me.

So I'm gonna transfer my money out of stars and transfer some to ftp so that I have 100 BI for the 2.25$ and maybe take advantage of a reload bonus that might come on the 4th of August. :)

This also changes my goals for August which is now 1k sngs. Still I will take a day out to play some tourneys.

That's it for now, updating again tomorrow. :f_cool:
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Update: So I'm getting lazy, not updating as much as I should, but to be fair I haven't played that much, have been busy with real life stuff.
      But I managed to play some tonight - still playing.
      So I have encuntered the first "regs" at the 18 man sngs, I haven't seen more than one or two who actually plays solid. But that's great. :D

I'm really happy to be back at fulltilt and the 18 man sngs is quite nice to play. It's much more fun than stt's cause you can "play" some more in early stages. I also find it interresting that people tend to tighten up during short handed play, which means more chips for me. :)

Some bad things about the change. First of all pokertracker 3 and hem both trial versions won't work with my fulltilt.. ?(
      But stats not that important until higher limits.
      Another thing that has been bothering me is lack of concentration (I'm writing this while playing - not good) so tomorrow I will try to include some more tables so that I need to stay focussed at all time. So tomorrow I'll play 9 instead of 6 tables.

Well progress update - played around 60 sngs and made 40$ (18BI) in profit, so I'm of to a good start.

Updating again tomorrow after playing. :f_cool:
      Take care.