Poker Stars software cons !!

• drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Hi there my fellow poker strategists :f_cool: how ya all doin'!?

In one of my other posts I spoke about how PartyPoker has become so painfully tight. So I seriously thought of moving to stars or tilt cuz of traffic, but as soon as I grind up at least 600$ at party, to benefit from first deposit bonuses either on PS or FTP. But that's not the subject here. Today I started playing at stars anyways, cuz I found a 5$ bonus there. :f_love: how touching, hahahaha...just kiddin :f_p:

Started grinding a bit today...

...really !? I mean REALLY !? How come that their software is so praised by everyone and everywhere? I find it the worse piece of software I have played on! From functionallity to style! It is just so outdated. They have the smallest number of hands/h dealt, lack of action timers, bet sizing buttons(2/3pot 3/4pot etc), small cards, hard to distinguish when it is time to act...and sluggishness.

Not to repeat myself! Take a look at my mail I sent to PS support today. I'd like to hear what ya all think, would you share my opinion...since I find their software really bad. If community wont react, hardly they'll ever gonna better their software...I'm so eager to discuss this...I'd most gladly play there forever cuz of traffic... but their software is the worst out there IMO and has some serious issues !!

Dear PokerStars team!

First of all I want to tank you for the 5$ starting bonus, you've actually caught yourself a taught TAG player from PokerStrategy.com, destined and determined to become a proffesional. Started grinding here today, and if I manage to pass at least 25-50$ and get into my safe BRM zone...there will be loads of rake on my part. I decided to play on your site specifically because of your awesome traffic you got here. Though I prefer your other competitor softwares like the one at party or FTP, but the cash games there have become painfully tight.
      I can hardly agree your software is worthy of the world leader in online poker industry!

How much worthy is a random player's opinion to you, I really got no idea... I can hardly beleive this hasn't occured to someone of you before...but here comes nothin'

...let me get to the point!

I don't understand how can you praise your software so much, when it's even making you loose money ?!? As well as your players...
      maybe everyone fails to see it's cons, since it is that much praised. as well as your poker room is - which is for a good reason! But the software sluggishness falls beyond my understanding.
      How it makes you loose money? Well you should probably know this! I have noticed that average number of hands per hour is significantly lower at your site when compared to others, IE. full ring game with 9 players - you got an average of 60hands/hour compared to party where there's +75hands/hour dealt @ a FR table... I have even noticed with naked eye while playing that there are less hands dealt, and that players react SLOWER, again in comparison to other sites I've played at !!! Well why is this!?

**01**First there is no action timer, why in the world would someone remove the action timer from a online poker table!? A TIMER that is ticking induces people to react FASTER - hence more HANDS dealt per hour :) not to say many players as myself find the lack of the timer annoying. Especially when multi-tabling when serious action happens at more than 2 tables we wouldn't know where to act first !!! that is very annoying, and can cause profit loss to your players as well. Why no timer, every poker room has it !!??!!??

**02**The player bar is definitely not flashy(colourful) enough to the EyE, the thin rectangle/circle flashing around the player is not enough to make people pay attention fast, it takes more time to realize it is one's turn to act!! Especially when multitabling! Logically this decreases number of hands dealt per hour as well.

**03**The software is a bit sluggish when it comes to player turns being switched, lag between clicks, bets, cards etc..., responsiveness is a bit lower when compared to other software out there! Though it is being praised as the MOST responsive. It is however compact and doesn't eat up CPU time like some I've seen.

**04**Please, where are the additional bet sizing buttons ??? every poker room I have seen has the 1/2pot 2/3pot 3/4pot and potsize bet buttons!! It is very convient to have those! I agree that serious poker players shouldn't have trouble with some basic mathematics, but why remove these buttons ??? It still takes little, but ENOUGH of time to calculate 2thirds or 3quarters of a pot...to significantly decrease action time and thus decrease number of hands dealt per hour!! Why remove bet-size buttons? Every poker room has those!!

Thank you for making some new skins! Personally I never liked your classic skin which I've seen before, round circles, colours and everything...plus I've found it pretty much confusing and oldish !! All in all your software is pretty much outdated, can't you agree? Have you ever changed it, except for skinning. Even with new skins, buttons are quite old looking...squary and stuff...
      Cards arent remarkable, they could look more catchy to the eye, and they somehow appear too small !!

With all due respect, how can you be this ignorant towards your software, when it's even making you heavy losses in profit.
      And to your players - loss of profit/number of hands per hour/time!!! Worst of all I don't understand how can community be ignorant towards it and all the cons there are.
      Personally I might just never EVER leave your poker room if it isn't for software this bad ! And I can freely say it's the worst of all I have played on! Without forgetting you are by far the largest online room out there, with such a great traffic and reputation who knows how many more players would you attract with a decent software...

Are we players to expect all those software annoyances fixed? Aren't we to expect enough hands/hour from the best poker room out there? Or even a completely new piece of software! We deserve a convenient software to play on, we make you rakes!! Did you ever consider re-hauling ?

Sincerely

Jan
  • 14 replies
    • Zyklox
      Zyklox
      Bronze
      Well i think you got some very good reasoning, and your advices are really good! I like most of your ideas very good!
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by drbloody
      Hi there my fellow poker strategists :f_cool: how ya all doin'!?
      Not too bad thanks! Little bit of acid reflux this morning due to a particularly agressive thai green curry I ate last night, but that was more my fault than anyone else, so i can't complain.

...really !? I mean REALLY !? How come that their software is so praised by everyone and everywhere? I find it the worse piece of software I have played on! From functionallity to style! It is just so outdated. They have the smallest number of hands/h dealt, lack of action timers, bet sizing buttons(2/3pot 3/4pot etc), small cards, hard to distinguish when it is time to act...and sluggishness.
      I actually believed for a long time that stars was the 2nd best client, behind FTP, however, I would have to consider myself converted and would now rank stars in the #1 spot

Not to repeat myself! Take a look at my mail I sent to PS support today. I'd like to hear what ya all think, would you share my opinion...since I find their software really bad. If community wont react, hardly they'll ever gonna better their software...I'm so eager to discuss this...I'd most gladly play there forever cuz of traffic... but their software is the worst out there IMO and has some serious issues !!
      Sounds good, lets go!

Originally posted by drbloody**************************************************************
      OK, so this is where the letter starts? I like it! it's a nice, easy way to tell your readers where to start from.

Dear PokerStars team!
      Strong opening, I don't think there is any confusion here as to whom this letter is intended.

First of all I want to thank you for the 5$ starting bonus, you've actually caught yourself a taught TAG player from PokerStrategy.com, destined and determined to become a professional.
      FYP ;)

How it makes you loose money? Well you should probably know this! I have noticed that average number of hands per hour is significantly lower at your site when compared to others, IE. full ring game with 9 players - you got an average of 60hands/hour compared to party where there's +75hands/hour dealt @ a FR table... I have even noticed with naked eye while playing that there are less hands dealt, and that players react SLOWER, again in comparison to other sites I've played at !!! Well why is this!?
      This would be caused by all the 24 tabling HUDbots out there, grinding away on too many tables and taking too long to act.

**01**First there is no action timer, why in the world would someone remove the action timer from a online poker table!? A TIMER that is ticking induces people to react FASTER - hence more HANDS dealt per hour :) not to say many players as myself find the lack of the timer annoying. Especially when multi-tabling when serious action happens at more than 2 tables we wouldn't know where to act first !!! that is very annoying, and can cause profit loss to your players as well. Why no timer, every poker room has it !!??!!??
      Get TableNinja, it fixes this problem

**02**The player bar is definitely not flashy(colourful) enough to the EyE, the thin rectangle/circle flashing around the player is not enough to make people pay attention fast, it takes more time to realize it is one's turn to act!! Especially when multitabling! Logically this decreases number of hands dealt per hour as well.

**03**The software is a bit sluggish when it comes to player turns being switched, lag between clicks, bets, cards etc..., responsiveness is a bit lower when compared to other software out there! Though it is being praised as the MOST responsive. It is however compact and doesn't eat up CPU time like some I've seen.

**04**Please, where are the additional bet sizing buttons ??? every poker room I have seen has the 1/2pot 2/3pot 3/4pot and potsize bet buttons!! It is very convient to have those! I agree that serious poker players shouldn't have trouble with some basic mathematics, but why remove these buttons ??? It still takes little, but ENOUGH of time to calculate 2thirds or 3quarters of a pot...to significantly decrease action time and thus decrease number of hands dealt per hour!! Why remove bet-size buttons? Every poker room has those!!
      Thank you for making some new skins! Personally I never liked your classic skin which I've seen before, round circles, colours and everything...plus I've found it pretty much confusing and oldish !! All in all your software is pretty much outdated, can't you agree? Have you ever changed it, except for skinning. Even with new skins, buttons are quite old looking...squary and stuff...
      Cards arent remarkable, they could look more catchy to the eye, and they somehow appear too small !!

Get Table... wait, get the HyperSimple theme, it fixes this problem

Sincerely

Jan
      Cheers,

AlC
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Owned. Oh, and the reason they probably didn't take your email seriously is because of your constant misuse of the word con.
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      owned by what lol!? Taken seriously? Well actually it was...
      you could have been little less pretentious and a little more constructive here... :O
      Gosh! some people, please don't troll my subject away... :s_o:

P.S. No, not as disturbed...
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      my reply in short...

pokerstars by default sucks, install hypersimple theme and get tableninja.

if you still dont like it, ask here, people will be more than happy to help you get used to it, or try a different site
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      :D some funny quotes there...thnx for reply.
      I did hear of TableNinja, but why use another software and further distract myself from the game, hud's enough already. I don't like the thought of that but will try it at some point in future just to see if it's any effective to my game. Anyway it can't help the n of Hands/h being dealt at PS, numbers don't lie it's far lower than average. Why deny that !?

And even if that ninja thing fixes all up, though I still disagree it does...why even pay for a 3rd party software only to compensate for lack of buttons and BASIC functions... And never thought of ninja while playing at other sites and did just fine without it.

Dunno... erm actually I do! They should get their software straight :D

Cheers
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      my reply in short...

if you still dont like it, ask here, people will be more than happy to help you get used to it, or try a different site
      Could you be more specific please ? Sux in what way except in terms of software ?
      I mean what else is there to add? Don't say it's a tight place...they got the most traffic out there...
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      saloon theme kicks ass

which poker room can beat this?

Software: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4 , Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista

Hardware: Minimum system configuration (Yes, we tested it. Not too fast, but still playable):

• 100 MHz Pentium (800 Mhz for Windows Vista)
      • 64 MB RAM (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME) or 96 MB RAM (Windows NT 4 , Windows 2000, Windows XP) or 512 MB RAM (Windows Vista)
      • 800x600 screen resolution with 16-bit color depth (High Color)
      • 20MB of free disk space for download
      • 56k dialup Internet connection

Recommended system configuration:
      333 MHz or faster CPU (800 MHz for Windows Vista)
      128 MB of RAM or more (256 MB or more for best performance)
      • 512 MB of RAM minimum on Windows Vista (1 GB or more for best performance)
      • 800x600 or 1024x768 screen resolution with 16-bit color depth (High Color)
      • 60MB of free disk space for poker download installation
      • 128kbps or faster DSL or Cable Internet connection
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      my reply in short...

Could you be more specific please ? Sux in what way except in terms of software ?
      I mean what else is there to add? Don't say it's a tight place...they got the most traffic out there...
      when i say it sucks, i'm refering to the software in general. coming from FTP beforehand, which does have alot of the features you are refering to (such as a countdown, pot sizing buttons etc)

stars has the most traffic, but alot of the serious grinders on there are trying to make supernova or SNE, which means long hours playing 24 tables. when you have action pending on 10 tables, naturally it's going to take a while to get to one of the tables...

and also, stars is one of the most generous sites in terms of disconnection time and time banks... even on the speed tables, so it's no wonder why the hand rate is lower... but the solution is simple, just open a few more tables (which makes more rake for stars ;) )

table ninja has a free 30 day trial, and has alot of very handy features you wont find on any poker site. far from being another distraction like a hud, i couldn't imagine playing on any site anymore without the features i now take for granted through tableninja.

and yes, i dont like the standard theme for PS.com tables... so i use the hypersimple theme, which i believe is fairly clean. if you want something different, there are plenty of free mods out there to make it exactly as u'd like it.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      owned by what lol!? Taken seriously? Well actually it was...
      you could have been little less pretentious and a little more constructive here... :O
      Gosh! some people, please don't troll my subject away... :s_o:
      By the above post obviously. About being pretentious, I found it pretty funny that you just received $5 and go on writing a wall of text to PS support about how you're destined to become a professional etc. like they actually care, and meanwhile telling the world's leading poker room how to run their business.

P.S. No, not as disturbed...
      Disturbed? ?(
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger

By the above post obviously. About being pretentious, I found it pretty funny that you just received $5 and go on writing a wall of text to PS support about how you're destined to become a professional etc. like they actually care, and meanwhile telling the world's leading poker room how to run their business.
      You really know how to make friends Berzerger don't ya :D your behavior is so cliché, cut it please.
      Receiving 5$ bonus has nothing to do with my long-term poker plans and my main BR. I was just glad to have it so I can try out their skin without having to deposit. Telling them how to run their business, no, and why not in the same time! Putting out issues that annoy many players, it's called user feedback man.

Let me refrain myself, I ain't destined to become a pro, It's just poker has become my full-time occupation since a while. Harsh life here swayed me into the poker world, and I'm more than happy about it.
      It's not about destiny - it doesn't exist - it is but a word!!!
      It's about life paths...

I mean you no bad, why so unfriendly ? peace man :s_cool:
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      Thnx for your input AlC, it's most appreciated!
      I'll be trying to get used to PS and hope to grind up that starting BR into safe zone, and will try table ninja at some point soon.
      If I bust, well, back to my main BR @ Party which seems tighter than ever on cash tables. I just cant believe my eyes to what is happening on that platform, that place is a dry pond...

See ya around, cheers
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Telling them how to run their business, no, and why not in the same time! Putting out issues that annoy many players, it's called user feedback man.
      Well, stuff like "how can you be this ignorant towards your software, when it's even making you heavy losses in profit" suspiciously sounds like "I know better than you how to make profit as a poker platform."

I mean you no bad, why so unfriendly ? peace man :s_cool:
      Mostly sleep deprivation, but also because the PS software is by far not as bad as you describe it. Don't take it too personal though, most people on the web are rude morons.
    • drbloody
      drbloody
      Bronze
      I've felt lots of sleep deprivation in life as well, in my case it mostly affects my nerves :s_evil: ...to a messed up extent often. I'm afraid sometimes it even feels like an addiction, hope to get rid of that trough poker discipline :f_p: .

What is personal, is my opinion about their software, but some of it falls under the category of general opinions around.

Nothin' taken personal,

Cheers