When to leave the table..

• Kidsoldja
      Kidsoldja
      Basic
      just wondering if any of you have any personal rules regarding when to leave the table. i go by these..

Stack sizes:

Always leave a table if my stack is less than half my buy in. (Concept of minimizing losses....Chan is said to do this) I figure psychologically I feel like I'm only losing "some" rather than a whole buy in and with rake back that loss is even further minimized.

If at any point my stack is more than double my buy in I make a note of it and leave when either the session ends or when my stack drops to 1.5 buy ins to ensure I still leave with some profit.

If at any point my stack is more than 3x my buy in I make a note of it and leave when either the session ends or when my stack drops to 2 buy ins (doubled) to ensure some profit.

If its 4x or more I leave as soon as I fold.

I've been playing online off and on for a few years and I've found I sometimes run real good only to not get out and end up losing my profit or my whole stack. I don't like hitting and running and frankly it seems that doing so runs counter to staying when its good and leaving when its bad. I figure with these guidelines I ensure at least some profit when I'm running good but ensure I stay around to potentially make more.

Any feedback, personal tips, and comments are appreciated!
  • 5 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      NEVER
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I don't think you should let your stack drop below 100bb (assuming you play BSS). If you don't auto-rebuy and just quit when you have less than 50bb, it probably means you have been playing the hand with something like 60bb in your stack, which is disadvantageous. Even if you auto-rebuy and lose 50bb, it's not a reason to leave the table. Just rebuy and continue playing.

Your decision on whether or not to leave a table should depend on whether your opponents are good enough to make your play there unprofitable. Also, if you have more big blinds than you feel comfortable playing with (e.g. you have tripled up and there's one or two guys with ~250bb stacks), you can leave the table and look for another one. If you're afraid to lose your winnings at every table, you're playing with scared money, and that influences your play in a negative way.
    • Skeat
      Skeat
      Bronze
      I'd say as long as you think you got an edge, the table got some fish, be fullstacked all the time.

If you are deepstacked and you are uncomfortable playing deepstacked it's ok, else just keep playing.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skeat
      If you are deepstacked and you are uncomfortable playing deepstacked become comfortable
      FYP imo
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by Skeat
      If you are deepstacked and you are uncomfortable playing deepstacked become comfortable
      FYP imo
      +1