who can be a pro

• Petek13
      Petek13
      Bronze
      Hello
      I have never in my life played poker and as I was looking for ways to make money I find these way, the poker stile.
      Now I have a question. My friends say, if I'm not above average player it is a waist of time and money.
      Can I make my living from poker with guide from strategy articles by doing exactly the way that is written?
  • 20 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Yeah it is difficulty just to say to follow the articles and do it becouse many situations are written just in general how to react and not exact. There are just to many ifs.

But with studding and understanding articles it is for sure posible to live just from poker. But i think you have to wait few months or maybe half a year to start playing higher limits that will bring you some hundreds dollars per month.

If you are not from rich country such as almost all countries in central europe you could live from poker pretty soon.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      And of course i wish u all good luck and dont think about money to much but about game.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Anyone can be a pro. It all comes down to effort. End of the day if u'll want to be an online poker pro, u'll have to develop ur own game, based on the articles here and possibly elsewhere. As soon as u plug most of ur leaks in the game u've built u'll likely be able to go pro. Should take a lot of work and determination to get there though. Poker isn't easy, much less if u wanna live from it. Don't even remotely expect the big $ to come easy with poker ... not in a few weeks time anyway.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      As someone once said, the fastest way to become a poker pro is to quit your day job. I don't think there is exactly a high success rate using that method though...

I have nothing, so I'll live off the glory of others and +1 the to sensible answers in this thread.
    • ThePikey
      ThePikey
      Bronze
      I don't completely agree with the above statements. I mean you have got to have some talent for evaluating your oppenents and for understanding the psychology associated with it.
      If you want to live as a pokerpro you would have to earn at least 4000$ a month just to get by, at least if you live in western Europe
      And in order to average that kind of money every month, you would have to grind NL200 or do extremely well on NL100. Offcourse if you move to a third world country you could obviously do with a lot less.
      For you to reach a level where you can beat those limits, it takes a lot of practice, unless you are a naturally gifted poker player, off course.
      When all that is said you definetly have a chance to make, just read a lot of articles, listen to the coaches and use the hand evaluating forums. This would help you a great deal towards your goal.

Good luck at the tables.
    • JDMagic
      JDMagic
      Bronze
      I live in south America, in here u could live with 1k a month... if u can make 2k a month u can live as a king...
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      "unless you are a naturally gifted poker player, off course. "

Lmao... Just made me think about all the fishes at my table thinking they are "Naturally gifted poker playesr"
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by ThePikey
      I mean you have got to have some talent for evaluating your oppenents and for understanding the psychology associated with it.
      If you want to live as a pokerpro you would have to earn at least 4000$ a month just to get by, at least if you live in western Europe
      And in order to average that kind of money every month, you would have to grind NL200 or do extremely well on NL100. Offcourse if you move to a third world country you could obviously do with a lot less.
      For you to reach a level where you can beat those limits, it takes a lot of practice, unless you are a naturally gifted poker player, off course.
      i dont agree with anything you said^^

1. You dont need talent! Unless you're going to play really high, everything you need to know can be learned.

2. ok, i more or less agree with 4k/month ;)

3. 4k a month is easily doable for b/e NL100 grinder and even for winning NL50 grinder (assume they put in enough volume ofc - what they should as professional players obv)
      btw: to be a poker pro doesnt mean you have to make living off poker winnings ;) rakeback alone can be more than sufficient...

4. i dont agree with last quoted sentence also, but dont want to write an essay, so just leave this statement as it is
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      this "naturally gifted poker player" sounds suspiciously like "fish on a heater"
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      it's a hard way to make an easy living ;)
    • ThePikey
      ThePikey
      Bronze
      1. You dont need talent! Unless you're going to play really high, everything you need to know can be learned.

Offcourse you are going to say this being an employee on a site that tries to teach poker!! :)

2. ok, i more or less agree with 4k/month

Glad we agree on something :)

3. 4k a month is easily doable for b/e NL100 grinder and even for winning NL50 grinder (assume they put in enough volume ofc - what they should as professional players obv)

Maybe you are right here. I didn't factor in rakeback, which is offcourse a given if you are a poker pro. I haven't got any experience in grinding away on those limits, so I'll take your word for it. And it makes life a lot easier if you only need to brake even on your winnings.

4. i dont agree with last quoted sentence also, but dont want to write an essay, so just leave this statement as it is

You don't need a lot of practice!! What.. you just need to read a few articles and watch a few videos, and your there?? Come on offcourse you need a lot of practice to be able to recognize and evaluate different situations which occurs during a session.
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      In my country you can live with 400 dollars sallary. Well at least that police officer sallary, and i think is much less than that.
    • alberts1955
      alberts1955
      Bronze
      same as jafreiteris.
      and if i earn like 2k$ a month, then i cal for sure live like a king :D
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black

Offcourse you are going to say this being an employee on a site that tries to teach poker!! :)
      well; I'm not employee here. I work as freelancer and I'm not paid for being moderator - and i've never been paid. I consider myself a poker pro who isn't talented at all.. There're plenty of people here, who make a nice living off poker and are not talented or gifted either.

You don't need a lot of practice!! What.. you just need to read a few articles and watch a few videos, and your there?? Come on offcourse you need a lot of practice to be able to recognize and evaluate different situations which occurs during a session.
      Actually YES :) We're talking about being poker pro, right? That means you're going to play at least 30 hours a week, so it's somehow natural, that you will get a lot of practice. This is the way one will improve over the time ofc, but in the beginning, reading some articles, understanding (!) basic principles and watching few videos is enough for a thinking player to start winning. There're so many bad players on micro limits, that simple thinking about every situation and not going to ABC mode is enough to beat them in no time. Sure, one has no experience and now it's all about mindset - thats all one need in the beginning imo. If you can handle swings/beats and dont get into whining mode after each bad beat, there's nothing to stop you... nothing.

I'm not saying that one should go pro after 50k hands and on NL50, but it's doable and many people did it successfully (me included - on VERY low FL limit).
    • ThePikey
      ThePikey
      Bronze
      @ OPAL99 Ok, a couple of things. First off, 50K hands is a lot of practice in my world. I have been playing on and off since november where i bought HEM, and I have only played around 45k. Granted, I have had a few months where I almost didn't play due to my work. But still 50k is a lot of practice.

Second. You touch on a key point here. Not everybody is able to handle swings and will go on tilt easy. Agreed for most people this can be learned through experience, but again some people simply don't have the mindset. I think you overestimate people. There are a lot of people out there, who wouln't be able to adjust, furthermore it is not everybody, who would be able to sit in front of the computer 30 hours plus, week in and week out withot losing motivation and focus and ultimately fail.

@ JDMagic It doesn't sound to bad living like a king in South America for 2k a week. :) Maybe I should give it a go when I get a bit better.

After all it's better to live as a king in the peasants country, than as a peasant in the king's country :P
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Second. You touch on a key point here. Not everybody is able to handle swings and will go on tilt easy.
      If one cant do that,then he should never consider playin poker for a living.
      And i seriously mean NEVER.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      50k hands is a drop in the ocean in the terms of poker practice. Many people on here play that in a week.
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      at autopilot maybe, 12 tabling and such

IMO anything over 4 tabling is a plus in rakeback and a minus in poker knowledge for you.

keep doing 12 tabling and one day you'll see at what level you are compared with what level you was
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      at autopilot maybe, 12 tabling and such

IMO anything over 4 tabling is a plus in rakeback and a minus in poker knowledge for you.

keep doing 12 tabling and one day you'll see at what level you are compared with what level you was
      wonder how nanonoko crushes mid-high stakes 20tabling or whatever he does these days.

really dude, dont make statements you're not qualified to make.