[NL2-NL10] Id really like someone to tell me that was a bad call...

• Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:spade: , Q:spade:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.10, 3 folds, CO calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.45) 3:diamond: , 8:spade: , 9:spade: (4 players)
      BB bets $0.40, UTG+2 calls $0.40, CO folds, Hero calls $0.40.

You really think Im going to fold a monster draw?! OESD + Flush draw + Pair = 18 to 20 outs? Well no, never.

Turn: ($1.65) 5:spade: (3 players)
      BB bets $0.30, UTG+2 calls $0.30, Hero raises to $1.00, BB raises to $1.70, UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $1.33 (All-In).

River: ($4.98) 5:heart:

Final Pot: $4.98

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BB shows [ 8h, 9d ] two pairs, Nines and Eights
      Hero shows [ Ts, Qs ] a flush, Queen high
      BB wins $0.37 USD with two pairs, Nines and Eights.
      Hero wins $4.38 USD with a flush, Queen high.

You wonder why I called there?
      1- Because I was the button, with only 2 players left to bet, and no one being agressive yet, it wasn't expensive.
      2- Because I only lost with the shortstack strategy so far, so I sometimes call with suited connectors and pairs, hoping to get a nice flop. Because the SSS wins small pots before or at the flop. I need some big pots, and suited connectors in multiway pots does that.

Ah yes, I won 2$ yesterday in a tourney on pokerstars too. Not bad for a freeroll. But Im sick of always being a shortstack in tourney unless I get really lucky with the SSS. I think Ill start untightening in tourney. Id rather finish 1st or 2nd 1 time then finish 100th twelve time, the money would be 12x the one of the second case...
  • 6 replies
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      It was a sort of a bad call because if you would follow the SSS here, you should have raised on the flop, because you have, like you allready said, a draw (flush draw, with a gut-shot straight draw and a fairly high "kicker" Q ) and it's stated in the SSS that it is your goal to go all-in if you have a hand like that. But all in all you played it allright (you won quite a big pot considering it was on NL10). :D
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mystrapoker

I need some big pots, and suited connectors in multiway pots does that.

But only if you have a big-stack yourself.

You miss so many flops with SC's that you need to have a lot of chips yourself to be able to get paid for when you do hit your hand. (Implied odds).

If you hit a pair with QT :spade: for instance then you can often find yourself in trouble in a multiway pot tending to either win a small pot or lose your stack.(Reverse implied odds).

As played:

PF: fold

Flop: After BB's strong lead I doubt you have any Fold Equity with your SS but your hand is strong enough to raise AI. At NL 10 however players tend to charge draws too little and still pay-off when possible draws hit so calling as played is OK too.

Keep playing supertight with the SSS and you will be OK.

BTW, well done in the Pokerstars Freeroll. Those "big field wild tournies" take some beating.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      I would have folded had I hit a Q or a T, because I know that its a dangerous play and the only way I was staying on that flop was with a draw or with a straight and/or a flush...

Most of the times (read, if Im not on tilt). I can fold KK or QQ on the fold if I think its not the best hand anymore... Usually in these situations, Ill take the full 20 seconds I can use to think it over...

I trapped peoples like 3 times in that tourney. Once I went there with 46o in the big blind, and the flop gave me two pair. There was no straight or flush possible, and I was feeling the other guy had limped with a big pair. So I checked on the flop. He did a small bet, that I called. And then on the turn, I made a very small bet. Then he went all-in... Turn out he had QQ, busted him.

Oops I did it again:

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6:heart: , 7:heart:
      4 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.45) 7:club: , 9:spade: , 9:diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds.

Let's see, do you have a set or a big pair? No? Ah...
      Yeah that was idiotic, but with a 0.10$ bet, it was screaming "I dont have an hand".

Final Pot: $1.05
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Without reading all the comments. I push here on the Flop with my Monsterdraw to use my Fold Equity. If somebody else has a higher Flushdraw, so it be I have my Out for the Straight Flush as well. No other move is right here as a Short Stack.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      It wasn't a monster draw thought. It was a gutshot straight draw + 3rd flush draw + top two pair draw.

If I do the math right:

9handed + 3 cards on the flop = 52 - (9*2) - 3 cards left = 31 cards left

Any spades would help me (9 left) = 9 outs
      Any Jacks, Queens or Tens would help me = (4 + 3 + 3) = 10 outs

= 19 outs - 1 = (For Jack of spades, since its already in the spades out)

18 outs out of 31 cards = 58% odds of winning the pot.

right?
    • erob60
      erob60
      Gold
      Since the opponent alreaddy had two pair, a ten or a queen wouldn't have helped, so you have 12 outs. Some of these may be held by the other players, so you can't do it out of 31 cards, it must be out of those cards you haven't seen, which is always 47 on the flop. Hence you have a 45% chance of winning on the flop.