Low Suited Connectors

• SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      Suited Connectors from 45s to TJs can be extremely rewarding.
      But the starting hands chart says only 87s+.

When I play, I play 45s to 76s only when three players call before me, and I'm in late position. I know that hitting a pair with 45s is useless, and bottom set usually falls to a higher set. But I've been paid off well a few times so I keep playing them.
      How about you?
  • 4 replies
    • Tommino
      Tommino
      Bronze
      As you are gaining feel for the game, you surely can start playing few hands that are not listed in the basic SHC (like lower suited connectors). Just make sure not to play those hands just because they look nice, but with good reason (e.g. the example with 3 limpers you gave is a good reason :) ).
      When you will achieve silver status, you will gain access to article containing advanced SHC. This chart lists the (generally) correct actions with small suited connectors and some other hands which were excluded from basic SHC because unexperienced player could get in trouble when playing them.
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      thanks for the input!
      pity I don't think I get enough volume to hit silver, I can't even finish off my $50 capital.
    • Tommino
      Tommino
      Bronze
      Patience little grasshopper, patience :] (always wanted to say that :D )
    • madorjan
      madorjan
      Bronze
      Hi!

These suited connector type of hands can be very tricky. In NL you play them, because they have insane implied odds. Well, in FL, this is not the case. So, you have to have better odds to call. Also, you'll take bad beats or coolers more often, because in NL no one plays for example a T or a J high one card flushdraw, but in FL they'll have the odds to call, so they will. I'd be very careful with those type of hands, and basically play them only in massively multiway (3-4+blinds) pot, or in the SB, only in limped pots. (Maybe in a raised and cold+overcalled pot from the BB)
      The SHC is there for a reason, I think you should use it, and differ from it only for a very very grounded reason. As a beginner of course...