fryandspicy's blog of love

• fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      :heart: Welcome to fryandspicy’s blog of love. :heart:

Fryandspicy. That’s me. Or, well, that’s my poker alias. I’m a student in London, studying and failing economics. I decided to blog because it’d be a good way of meeting poker people, some of whom will hopefully be in a similar place to me, others will hopefully be much much better at poker than me.

Other than poker I have a couple of interests, which I will try and quickly sum up here.

Firstly, my love, my passion, chess: Chess Videos.

As well as chess, I’m helping to create a website.
      The concept: a text based world.
      The project: Reveries but it’s in closed beta phase.

As well as reveries, I’m a music fan:

As well as music, I love women:

And I recently met a lovely swedish girl on holiday in london, who has a blog http://mango.blogg.se/ (reason for this follows.)

As well as women, I love Jeremy Bentham: http://bookoutlines.pbworks.com/Happiness+-+Lessons+From+a+New+Science (that was the reason.)
      (Also the reason for the blog title)

And as well as Jeremy Bentham, i love my summer job: Sandwich Making

What does any of this have to do with poker?
      Nothing. And, well, I guess the Bentham stuff is the exact opposite of what should be practised in the poker world. But it’s the likely content of a lot of this blog so you’d better get used to it.

Nah, every post other than this one will have at least some poker related content. Mainly interesting hands that have taught me something, but also useful links and a healthy bit of plagiarism from other sources. Although I play BSS I’ve had some limited experience elsewhere and have a few good links in my favourites bar I might as well leak to keep the odd other reader interested. I’ll also use this space to share any useful or semi useful cheat sheets I’ve created, and any independent mathematical research I’ve done (I do econometrics and game theory so I might actually work out something of interest. But I’m pretty stupid and lazy so it’s not that likely.)
      I won’t do any graphs, or maybe only like one a year or something, because I don’t find them very interesting when reading other people’s blogs. All posts other than this one will follow a very simple format:

Poker Content

Current Bankroll

Random Link/Quote/Anecdote

Apology For Rambling

So, sorry for rambling. Here’s a link for those who made it this far. Because you clearly all have too much time on your hands. Pipe Cleaner Dance
  • 99 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      :heart: Poker Content :heart:
      Onto my first piece of actual poker content! This week i watched the third part of the crushing NL50 series by Hasenbraten, and it inspired me so much i decided to make a post on one of the more interesting aspects of it - the so-called 'Way Ahead Way Behind' principle.

The concept is simple and many people with good logic would probably arrive to the correct line just by puzzling it out, but i didn't and maybe some of you guys wouldn't so i thought i'd post it here to reinforce the idea for all of us :f_grin:

The concept: If you have a hand that completely destroys about half of villains range, but is completely destroyed by the other half, it's best to play the hand passively.

Reasoning: You no longer have to protect your hand, because your opponents worse hands will rarely catch up. By betting here you are often folding out the hands that you beat and getting called (or raised) only by the hands that have you crushed. Checking can induce bluffs or weak value bets from the hands you beat and (if you're really lucky) may slow down an opponent who has the nuts but doesn't want to chase you away.

Cons: By playing this line you are letting a thinking opponent know what hand you have, because you won't play many other hands in this manner.

Example: Middle pair on a rainbow flop (T :spade: T :heart: in K :spade: 3 :diamond: 2 :club:) if we raise pre and an unknown smooth calls. He could have pocket pairs or broadways. Maybe about half the time he hits his king or trips, the other half the time he misses. There are lots of other examples, probably some that are alot better - maybe someone could post one?!

:spade: Current Bankroll :spade:
      $48 - i went on life tilt the other day (not even over all that much. Pretty bad day and lack of sleep = calling all ins with T2o.) But i only lost a couple of buy ins because i decided to quit pretty quickly after aforementioned hand.

It's been pretty hard to get any time in on poker because of crazy working hours (i work from 4.30 am to 9.30 am which pretty much wipes me out for much of the day and means i'm asleep during peak poker times. 5 days a week.)

:diamond: Random Link/Quote/Anecdote :diamond:
      Sun Storm Transmission

:club: Apology For Rambling :club:
      sozza.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      KK HU on an Axx board is the classic example I think. By checking you might make an opponent bet a hand like QQ, JJ or a pure bluff and can call with KK, if the bet isn't unusual. In this situation you go for passive play to induce bluffs and keep the pot small. Of course, it works best when IP. :)
    • Hopey
      Hopey
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice on dealing (... thats dealing in poker not contraband). I was going to reply on my blog but saw the link to yours so came over to read. Have to say I enjoyed the first couple of posts, keep it up.

By the way what game/level are you playing atm?
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      @Emanuel:
      Thanks, that's a good example. I was trying to think of some more on the flop and nothing really applies other than various second pairs.

@Hopey:
      NL BSS. This should probably be included in a proper post, but NL2. I'm planning on sticking here til i have played 25k hands with no HUD and then 25k more with a HUD, or gained the bankroll to play NL4 (whichever happens last) I play six tables normally so hopefully it won't take more than a couple of months to get that much volume in.

If you're sticking with BSS it would be cool if we could sweat some time, although i don't have a mic yet for skype. As soon as i get paid i will though.

FURTHER ADVICE: On the edit signature page click on options just underneath the signature form and click on enable BBCode and smilies, then you'll get a proper link.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      If your gonna play micro NL BSS maybe we could help each other out, keep ourselves motivated and focused. Skype: emanuel.eugen.cinca . Give me a PM or post in your blog when your gonna be online because I don't really spend much time on Skype.

Cheers.
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Can i afford not to add someone with such fine taste in signatures? You seem to know your stuff too, so i'll be very happy to skype with you, although i'm not sure you'll be so happy when i'm constantly nagging you for advice :f_p: Nah, you tell me how to play poker and i'll keep you motivated to play. Sounds like a fair deal to me!

Will let you know when i get my laptop up and running (the internet's been broken on it all day for some reason, i'm on the PC). If i get it working i'll be skyping often between 6pm and 9pm GMT, because i lost my job! More on that in the next update of the blog!
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      :spade: Poker Content:spade:
      This installment i'll be writing about medium made hands, because they have been a great source of frustration and wasted money for me this week. The lesson is simple - learn not to mind laying down TPTK and below!

One of the traps of playing microstakes is to assume that all of your opponents are spewtards, but this simply isn't the case. Many of them are grinding nits sticking to their own starting hands chart just like you (or me. I don't know why i'm writing this to you, it's really for my own sake.)

Long story short - read the bronze post flop articles and stick to them religiously until you're as good at poker as you think you are...

I was going to write something about 3betting but think it might need a fair bit of work because there are many concepts I don't understand yet, such as why we 3bet with AA into anyone when many opponents will fold all but KK+ to a 3bet but cbet 100% of flops if we just call.

So for now I give you a hand I've named idiocy:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:spade: , K:spade:
      UTG1 calls $0.02, UTG2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($0.29) 6:heart: , T:spade: , 4:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.16, UTG1 calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.61) 3:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.61) 3:club: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45.

Final Pot: $1.51

And a hand named justice:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , A:spade:
      UTG raises to $0.04, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.14, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.45) 6:club: , 3:spade: , 5:heart: (3 players)
      UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.36, UTG calls $0.36, MP2 raises to $0.94, Hero raises to $1.86 (All-In), UTG folds, MP2 calls $0.92.

Turn: ($4.53) A:diamond:
      River: ($4.53) 9:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $4.53

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, aces (Ah As)
      MP2 shows two-pair, sixes and threes (6h 3d)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, aces (Ah As)

:heart: Current Bankroll :heart:
      $42 - Proof of my stupidity.

Random Link/Quote/Anecdote
      Firstly:I would like to use this corner of the internet to moan about my week - on Thursday my mum's bike was stolen when I locked it up outside work. I was going to have a lift into work but my lift never turned up, so when I decided to cycle in instead I was very annoyed to notice my own bike had a flat. So I took my mum's and cycled in on that (dedication to my job, i know!) So anyway I turn up at 5:30 am, an hour late, work hard til 8:30 am when I cross the road to go home - and both bike and lock are gone! Not rare in Cambridge, but rare at that time in the morning I'm sure. So now I owe my mum £500. :f_cry:

Two days later, I was told not to come in this week by my supervisor. Bit of reading in between the lines - I'm sacked. So I actually lost money overall by getting that fucking job. And now I'm out desperately looking for employment for the next two months before I go back to uni for my final year - no easy task.

On the bright side, I got my economics results back and although I did predictably badly in the actual economics-based subjects (Macroeconomics, Capital Markets, etc.) I got a high first in game theory and a high 2:1 in econometrics, which is good news for future poker research :f_love:

Anyway, if anyone read my moaning, thanks for reading my moaning. Here's a short film:

Apology For Rambling
      I did ramble rather alot this post, and there's almost zero useful poker content. Sorry about that.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Hey man, it seems we are in the same boat regarding a few things, poker-related and not.

I too am playing NL2 BSS, trying to get a foothold in this crazy game :D Also, i'm currently searching hard for employment before I go into my final year at Uni :D

Anyway, keep up the good work and GL at the tables :) If you wanna sweat or talk about poker related stuff i'll happily give you an add on MSn or something :)
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      :spade: Poker Content :spade:
      One of the most frustrating types of opponents to play against is a mid stacked opponent. And by that i mean someone with around 30 - 50 BBs (not sure what an official definition would be.) These poker players, at the limits i'm playing at least, all have one thing in common - they're all rubbish.

And that's where any similarities seem to end. You get tight passive calling stations and loose aggressive maniacs and if you don't have any reads other than the stack sizes, they will look identical. The problems come when you raise or three bet with a good (but not paired) hand preflop and they smooth-call you. Come the flop, a standard cbet leaves them with the perfect stack size to move all in against you.

Example:
      Known players:
      Hero:
      $2.00
      UTG1:
      $0.66

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , K:spade:
      UTG1 calls $0.02, 7 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, UTG1 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.21) 8:diamond: , Q:heart: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero????

The problem comes from the fact that if you cbet and they push, they could either be the maniac pushing because 70% of the time you don't have anything, or the TAP who just hit trips. who knows?!

My advice in this situation: Out of position, bet fold unless you have some kind of gutshot or runner-runner to go with your overcards. In position, if he checks to you bet fold unless you have the gutshot thingy, if he bets into you, snap call if you get anywhere near decent pot odds. :f_grin:

The advice of geniuses would obviously be appreciated.

$33

BUT i'm actually pretty pleased with this because it was on $25 a few days ago when i decided to tilt away a couple of buy ins for basically no reason.

BUT i've actually had no tricky spots at all in the last few days so i dont' know if i've plugged my major leak (the classic overplaying of TPTK OOP) or whether i can withstand a few bad beats without spazzing out yet.

On the advice of much wiser and greater poker players i've aquired the poker mindset and am reading through it. Some stuff about letting go of your ego seems to be helping to stem my hero calling i think. The beauty of the book is that it makes you feel really ashamed of how childishly you play poker.

In real life terms poker has taken a back seat for a week or so. I haven't downloaded msn still (sorry Wriggers), have barely got any volume in, and have been falling behind with hand evaluations. But in my excuse i've been nearly dead with man-flu since i got back from this wedding.

Other real life news:
      - Had a job interview at Boots (a health and beauty shops for all of you ignorant foreigners) and smashed it, but then had to reveal that i'm going back to London in two months.
      - Cash game on Thursday with some TAP friends of mine, but i have literally no money so i'll have to get staked :f_mad:
      - Sweat session with Emanuel on Friday (i hope we didn't arrange it to be on thursday anyway) which i'm looking forward to but also dreading slightly. Need to remind myself what software to download etc.
      - Watched my first coaching session today, the basic BSS one, which was thoroughly entertaining. I love how Hasenbraten says value. And it's very motivating for some reason just to hear a great poker player's thoughts and feelings on the game. Although he said he's quite stressed at the moment so i felt quite bad for him
      - Went out last night and ended up literally demanding that some poor girl i was sharing a taxi home with have sex with me at her parents' house. Standard.
      - Love this song and would appreciate it if someone can tell me title and artist: http://vimeo.com/13343603

Apologies for rambling.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Nice to see you're doing better. Looking forward for Friday. :f_biggrin:

By the way, is this what you are looking for sir?

• fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Yes and props for speed of reply!
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      On isolation:
      You can isolate with any hand the original limper would've raised with. Assuming you don't have aggressive regs to act behind you.

£27.50 - Just lost two buy ins. Top pair vs flopped set (which i overplayed, because of the classic mistake of underestimating opponents) and straight vs rivered full house (which i again overplayed because of underestimating opponents). I say underestimating, but both times opponents limped UTG with 22 and let me see the flop for free from the blinds. Pretty frustrating five minutes.

I need to read more poker mindset before going back to the tables. Cannot wait until i can use a HUD. Cannot wait until i get half decent at poker. Grr.

GTFO
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      About the mindset thing: Byron Jacobs said something really interesting in his interview, quoting some chess player. He said it's not enough to be a good player, you have to play well. So although you might know all the theoretical stuff if you fail to put it in practice with patience and discipline all that knowledge doesn't give you much of an edge.

And that song is addicting! Do you know any more bands with that style of music?
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze

Are both in the same ballpark.

Just watched the Byron interview and that Tarrasch quote was very helpful. Think there are funnier quotes from him, though. Will look them up when i have some free time. :f_love:
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Over the next two weeks my life will be relatively undisturbed, so I am planning on getting in some serious poker learning which will come at the expense of much personal enjoyment.

Each day will go like this:
      • Get up at 10:30am
      • Until 11:30am, read poker mindset (or other if finished)
      • 11:30 - 12:30, play poker. Two tabling, thinking in ranges, with a HUD
      • 12:30 - 1:30, have lunch and reply to the first five unanswered hand histories in the micro stakes forum
      • 1:30 - 2:30, play poker, two tabling and thinking in ranges and so on.
      • 2:30 - 3:30, reply to ten more hand histories, update blog, post question hands, watch an instructional poker video (crushing NL50, most probably)
      • 3:30 - 4:30, play poker, four tabling but still thinking in ranges and so on
      • 4:30 - 9:30, get ready for work, go to work, come home from work
      • 9:30 - 10:30, eat dinner and slob out in front of TV.

For this to be accomplished, I will have to give up much lazing about. No more watching a bunch of youtube videos, no more watching TV (except at the end of the day), no more listening to music (except when at work), no more computer in bed, no more browsing the useless but entertaining threads on pokerstrategy or twoplustwo. However, I think i can make it as long as i hold on to the fact that it's only two weeks long. And hopefully it will represent something of a great leap forward in my poker knowledge. After the two weeks, i'll be moving to London for uni and it turns out i'll probably be in something of a party house, so i'll have to think of new and ingenious ways not to be sucked into that kind of fun.

Uh, i actually have no idea, because i haven't logged onto my poker account for two weeks due to computer malfunctioning (read exploding). Probably whatever it was last time i updated.

This section will have to be abandoned over the next two weeks, firstly because i'll be updating daily and won't be able to keep up such high quality material, but also because the whole blog and my entire mindset, will become somewhat more business like. For the next two weeks, that is. I won't be updating my bankroll either, because it's not important. What's important is that i play well. That might go forever.

This section will go too, for the next to weeks, because I intend to ramble much less. Sorry!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      That looks like a pretty hard schedule to keep, really... I think you'd be better off playing 2 tables for a few days and then just play 4 tables every session for the remaining of the 2 weeks if you are comfortable.

i'll have to think of new and ingenious ways not to be sucked into that kind of fun.

Uhm, how about winning some money in poker? Isn't that a lot of fun? You can still leave yourself some free time for partying but for now at least your focus should be poker (if you plan on taking it seriously, if not ofc you can just play in your spare time).
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Yeah i might increase the tables i play if i can, but the idea is to focus on reading my opponents even when i'm not in the hand, and i don't think fast enough to do this with lots of tables yet.

The main problem is that the hour long stints in between playing aren't long enough to get much done. Was planning on playing with the equilator to work out when i should reraise vs an open raise but haven't found the time so far.

Edit: yes, winning money at poker is probably quite good fun. I wouldn't know :f_p:
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I've felt pretty positive all day about this idea of only playing two tables. I'm making pretty detailed notes on everyone at my table and i've discovered that most of my opponents either play REALLY REALLY tight or REALLY REALLY loose. Which is great for me because i can put the tight ones on a range of hands and just assume the loose ones never have much. I've even bluffed a tight guy off a hand once. At NL2. Pretty badass.

That said i don't think i'm up that much today because of two hands that i either played badly or got unlucky in. Didn't tilt me though because i'm zen like in my calmness these days. (by these days i mean today, over the last three hours.)

Problem with my schedule is that it doesn't give me much time to analyse my own play. Will have to look into that. Maybe that could be a thing to do on days when i don't have to go to work.

Also it's really difficult to get up at 10:30, so i barely read any poker mindset this morning. What i did read was awesome though.

I can see getting enough food might be a bit difficult in the future, but today i've been lucky with stealing leftovers from the fridge.

That is all. Peace.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Problem with my schedule is that it doesn't give me much time to analyse my own play.

Maybe record your sessions and review the ones you find more interesting during the weekend?

Btw, I doubt you went to sleep at 10:30pm. If you did that, you woudn't have any problems getting up at 10:30am. Haha, speaking from experience!