[NL2-NL10] NL10 - AK, and daring decision. I hate having to do that because of the SSS...

• Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , A:heart:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 raises to $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.20, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 3 folds, MP1 calls $0.40, MP3 folds.

AK is re-raise, raise was 0.20$ so I re-raise to 0.60$...

Flop: ($1.65) 7:spade: , 6:heart: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $1.25 (All-In), MP1 folds.

Trash hand, according to the SSS Im supposed to bet 2/3 of the pot since opponent checked. Since the pot is more than my stack I go all-in according to the SSS again. I must say this is one of the most dangerous and courageous poker decision I ever made...

Final Pot: $2.90

Yeah I won, I could easily have lost 2$ too... Any comments?
  • 7 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      raise to 80 pre-flop
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Raise was to $0.20 + 1 Cold Caller meaning you reraise 4 times the original raise here. ;-) And with that hand, which commits you anyway and you have to move All-In on the Flop, I push here directly preflop, which also max. my fold equity.
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      That's why I often don't like AK...

Very often in with 4BB after raising and being called and when you don't hit anything it is somewhat difficult to lay down AK even though you're fairly certain your opponent has hit something when they bet.

That is also why I actually prefer playing AK OOP so that the opponent(s) have a chance to bet post-flop and then it is easier to fold and also more likely that the conti bet will take the pot.
    • Middelemiel
      Middelemiel
      Bronze
      If this was your most daring play ever... Go play bigstack poker once. This is just an easy push, nothing courageous about it... Especially with only 12BB left
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Seriously, this is standard. Poker is gambling even when played well, and the only way to ensure you've always got the best of it rather than merely having the best of it on average is to shove AA and fold everything else.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      I cant wait to hear how you justify going all-in with Ace high on the flop..

Also, its a logical fallacy to think that just because you committed 1/3 of the stack, you have to commit the remaining 2/3...
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Of course it's not. If you've put 1/3 of your stack in, the pot is at least as large as the remaining 2/3 of your stack. As long as you are usually ahead when the first 1/3 goes in, it's generally fine to push for the remaining 2/3.

If he only calls when he hits a non "trash" hand by the same standards as the SSS, you win the pot much more than the less than 50% needed to make the push +EV and usually still have equity the rest of the time. Good result.

If he calls when he hits a pair or good draw, you still win the pot often enough to make it +EV just from the times he folds and have significant average equity, sometimes being the favourite. Good result.

If he calls regardless he's calling with weaker high card hands and is your new best friend. Great result. This is actually quite common, a lot of people just don't respect short stacks.

I'm assuming that he enters the pot with a weaker average holding than yours. As a SSS player that's practically a given.

Oh, and on top of that, there's the metagame to consider. Quite apart from being +EV, going all in when unimproved gets you more action the rest of the time.