Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has A:spade: 7:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.35, fold, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) J:club: A:club: A:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.50, BB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.00

Turn: ($3.75, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      BB bets $3.75, Hero calls $3.75

River: ($11.25, 2 players) 8:diamond:
      BB bets $4.00, Hero calls $4.00

Villain is unknown, when he raised i thought that big A or JJ would 3-bet preflop so he is probably jx or FD. I didn't reraise because I thought that way I would isolate myself against better hand and with calling I will extract value from Jx, FD and some random bluff.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

First thing I notice is that he 3x'ed it on the flop, he didn't min-raise or pot-raise it. Coupled with the fact that he has more than 100bb I'd say he's more likely to be some reg than anything else, which is why I'm not convinced he would take that line with Jx ever and it's not mandatory for him to 3-bet preflop stuff like AJ/AQ.

Given the BBvsBU situation it's possible he's just full of shit or he's on a draw, but who is potting the turn with a draw there for a committing amount? I see more often people just betting big to protect with made hands, tho it's possible he's bluff spazzing for a stack a few % of the time.

So I'd say against an unknown unless we happened to stumble upon one of the most aggressive regulars at nl10 or he turns out to be a fish somehow, we're probably not going to be happy at showdown.

Hope it helps.
    • Gugi19
      Gugi19
      Bronze
      Hi,

Thanks for your evaluation.

I noticed that 3x raise also, but I didn't think he was a reg because I have a good sample of hands at this limit so I have some stats on almost every reg. That is why I thought he is more or less new in the game, but he read some about it and he is probably on Jx or FD. I thought this way because my line was the same with Jx or FD in blinds battle, when I first started after reading articles here and some books. So my question is was this thinking ok and was this line ok considering this?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Depends on how reliable your read that he's not a reg is, I can't argue with you on that since I don't know just how well you know the player pool, but I'm assuming if you're playing on a popular site that it's pretty much impossible to know all the regs on limits like nl10. People are moving up and down all the time while riding variance, playing from different timezones and stuff.

As far as the postflop line goes, it's ok considering that, and it's a worse mistake to fold the best hand than to call down with the worse hand when in doubt with so much money in there.