Freeroll & MTT with small buy-in. Need advice.

• Remyxas
      Remyxas
      Bronze
      Hey all,

During this month I have been playing some tournaments such as $4000 Summer free roll+ rebuys [Nordic & Baltic] in Pokerstars.com and The Big Little Tournament in Fulltilt.com. I think most of You can suggest me don't waste time with that, cause these tournaments are largely based on luck, but depending on my small bankroll and knowledge it isn't such a bad choice for a beginer. Problems appear when I play big MTT (over 1000 and more people) with small buy-ins about $1-$4 or freerolls with some nice guarantee like I mentioned. When I am playing 9-45 people Sit & Go I don’t have such as problems and I easily make decisions and take profit from it. But there is something that I need to learn more about big MMT…

The main thing I am hardly building my stack in the beginning of MTT against loose table and later in tournament most of the time I need to try my luck cause my M becomes small.
      First of all as we all know there are a lot of loose players. In the beginning while blinds are small I am playing tight game with premium hands at loose table (conversely at tight table). Sometimes I raise if players on my left are weak or limp with low pair and suited ace or medium connectors in middle or late position. Also I learned by heart the basic pre flop strategy from Harrington on Hold'em Volume 1
      but it worthless in early stage of tournament when half of the table call any raise, move all with any 2 cards from any position and then it is impossible to play post flop against 3-4 people with AK or AQ if you miss. AK is strong hand but I don’t think it is good move to go all in. Most of the time only blinds will be taken. Also I ma risking my tournament.
      Later in the tournament (about after an hour) another problem arrive. Players who have enormous stacks(I think loose players, too, who just have been lucky) start pushing around with big raises, all-ins. Then I am still waiting for good hands and good opportunity to play, go all in or call it. Even if I win some preflop all-in I spend whole my tournament in red or orange M zone.Sometimes in yellow but never in green. All the time i need to think how to survive.

So summing this all together what play you can offer after read my situation?
      How to play against loose table if you get crappy hands in early stage ?
      Maybe my game is too tight, maybe my range of hands is too small?
      Or maybe just stop play such as big MTT with small buy-in? :f_cry:
      Also I will be thankful =) if You suggest some books witch could improve my MTT play.
      I red all three Harrington on Hold'em books and Collin Moshman’s Sit & Go Strategy.
  • 6 replies
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      I used to play freerolls A LOT on FTP and PS, and i had pretty easy strategy. At the beginning of the tourney, there are many loose and passive players, i play many speculative hands, like 86 or 54 or something. Just try to see a lot of flops with these kind of hands cheap. (Ofc dont play trash like K3s or 93.) Everytime you flop top two or straight or whatever, there's ussually a hero with ace high to pay you of. You should play ABS poker, so if u hit the flop, value bet, if you dont, just make a small c-bet (min bet is ussually enough), if they call, just give up.

If you have a monster, it's ok to donkraise like 15 times the bb, because there's almost always someone with K5s who's gonna move allin because he knows he's gonna flop flush.

What i love about freerolls are the donks who dont know how to bet and raise. Once i saw a guy with stack of 5k, who raised to 1300 when the blinds were 15/30. It gave me a massive laugh.
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alficor1
      it's ok to donkraise like 15 times the bb, because there's almost always someone with K5s who's gonna move allin because he knows he's gonna flop flush.

What i love about freerolls are the donks who dont know how to bet and raise. Once i saw a guy with stack of 5k, who raised to 1300 when the blinds were 15/30. It gave me a massive laugh.

LoL, Contradiction of terms?
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Omg lol.. :D Geez i'm like Phil Hellmuth.. when i raise 15 times the bb, its a good play, when someone else does, he's a donk. Someone punch me. :D
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I think Alficor1 has given some good advice. I got quite alot of experience in freerolls. Currently more then $200 won in them on pokerstars. And several final tables in fields of 300-600 players.

Personally. I think (depending on the blind levels) that you should just wait for good hands. It just doesn't work that often to play loose agressive when they call your cbet with bottom pair. I just suggest betting when you have it, because they just can't fold their Ax high. They may or may not fold on the turn but then you have to put in another big bet. So really the only time you should bluff is when you have a very good read on that player.

Just play good hands and valuebet alot. If you try to bluff or second barrel your going to get in alot of trouble. And i like Alficor1's suggestion of playing suited/offuit connectors and semi connectors early. Since when you do hit big they will gladly stack you off. Not all freerolls are the same though, I mostly play freerolls with slow blind structures so i have enough time to get chips. I really hate freerolls with turbo blind structures because those simply require alot of luck. since it's very hard to put them on a hand when they call your preflop raise with Q3 offsuit.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      for me I believe your missing out if you do not make the most of the blind levels before 25/50, especially if blind levels are less than 10 mins.

Hands you should be adding to the standard tag range include:

high suited kings,queens and jacks

the occassional suited 1 gapper (preferably 9 high or better)

small pairs

have a good idea of your implied odds at all times, and remember whether your preflop hand could be considered in your standard range or not, and whether your opponents who are active in the pot are smart enough to think about such things. If you have no history on them, don't take it for granted.

when you become shallow ( blinds increase) eg 20bb stack at 200/400, I think its important to know how to shove PROFITABLY and resteal PROFITABLY. small stakes players rarely think: " is this profitable?" in such situations, and often avoid doing it alltogether. while this is safe since ur minimising a leak, its also meaning you will LOSE OUT on lots of value, and thus, on lots of final tables, and 1st places!!

I made a post [GUIDE] in the basic NL forums about this and attached a PDF with some useful info and push fold ranges in low M situations. search posts by my username if u want these. they have a +ev :)

thats my 2 cents :s_cool:
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      47o FTW