Ace in the hole - My Journey

• Jono222
      Jono222
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm Jono, I'm 25 years old or at least I will be next week. I live in Leicestershire, England.

I'm looking forward to a few days in Newquay. Lots of stuff happen over the last few months that I need to get away from, Leicestershire is a nice place and all but the town I live in, is a shit hole. So hopefully, should do me some good. I think I’ll try surfing, should be a laugh.

A bit more about me and I’ll get on to the poker stuff. I work in the motor trade, for the last 9 years since I left school. Started as a mechanic (email if you want work doing on your car) and moved on the semi management sort of role. Glorified receptionist if you ask the mechanic but what do they know.
      Job isn't really going anywhere. It has it up and downs. Last month or so seems to have been a heavy bias towards the downs but hey, chin up and soldier on. I'm hoping poker will give me an outlet or a release at least from it all.

And to the poker bit. I have been playing poker for a while, four or five years, give or take. Took it seriously for a while couple of years ago but lost my way and gave up. Been playing on and off since then, home games and the odd tipple online but nothing serious and certainly not documented any of it. I want to really make a go of it this time and knuckle down and learn some valuable skills. Anyone out there that lives in Leicestershire let us know. Be good to pop a face to the name and chat about different situations.

First couple of sessions have gone well. Quite a few hands for evaluation but in profit. Not really anymore to say then that, finding the features in PokerStrategy a big help, all though need to watch some videos I think.

Anyway, thanks for reading I hope to keep it interesting and down to earth. Long drive ahead (bout 300miles), catch you all when I get back.
  • 17 replies
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Hello Jono. I live in the People's Republic of Rutland, which I think should really be Leicestershire. By strange coincidence am also going on holiday to Newquay next week, but sadly with wife and kids in tow, and in a poxy caravan. Good luck with the poker!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Good luck man :) With life and your poker journey :D I always like reading new blogs, dunno why just like reading people working their way up from the bottom like i'm doing.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      I also live pretty close to you both, just over the border in Lincolnshire (sort of between Peterborough and Stamford). I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, interesting to see how another local beginner gets on.
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Hey there!

Always nice to see new FL players. Keep improving and you'll be fine! =)
    • Jono222
      Jono222
      Bronze
      ah the peoples republic of rutland. i like rutland but yes its leicestershire really isn't it. cheers guys, maybe have to meet up some time.

just out of curiosity what limits are you guy playing?

taavi1337 - where you from?

jbpatzer - i was going down today but decided to go tomorrow instead. makesure i get there for the rain you know.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      I'm currently playing NL10 on Everest.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jono222
      ah the peoples republic of rutland. i like rutland but yes its leicestershire really isn't it. cheers guys, maybe have to meet up some time.

jbpatzer - i was going down today but decided to go tomorrow instead. makesure i get there for the rain you know.
      I'm playing NL25 SSS on pokerstars. Will probably be going back to SnGs on FT when I've cleared my bonus. Might try some stud and razz too soon, thanks to RT's cool videos.
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze

From Estonia, currently playing FL SH $1/$2.
    • Jono222
      Jono222
      Bronze
      estonia kool, i wanna get out there one day. latvia also.

i hope to be at your level by start of next year.

but hey we'll see,

i thought my first blog post was lengthy until i read jbpatzer's. wow!!!!

i'll keep my eye on it though but need to read through it first.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze

i thought my first blog post was lengthy until i read jbpatzer's. wow!!!!
      Quality not quantity. I just like the sound of my own voice too much. You should hear me give a talk! :D
    • Jono222
      Jono222
      Bronze
      ho do you put a link to your blog in your signture jbpatzer?
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Go to the 'Your profile' link right under 'HOME' at the top of the page, and then click on the 'Edit signature' link. Make sure you also click on 'Options' at the bottom and check that BBcode is activated. I only know this because I had to get about 10 people to explain it to me a few weeks ago!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lollujo
      I also live pretty close to you both, just over the border in Lincolnshire (sort of between Peterborough and Stamford). I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, interesting to see how another local beginner gets on.
      A few of my good University friends come from Stamford :D I understand it's quite a small place so I thought it was worth a mention :D
    • Jono222
      Jono222
      Bronze
      where you at uni wriggers??
    • Jono222
      Jono222
      Bronze
      new blog up soon
    • Jono222
      Jono222
      Bronze
      Hi,

I’m going to start with my trip to Newquay because that was the best thing about the last week!!!

I had a great for days saw some amazing sights like wildlife but also landscape. Beautiful place Cornwall, very beautiful. Lands’ end was cool had a nice walk round took some pictures, which I might attach to a different blog and post the link here. More on that a bit later on. I camped for two nights at a great place in Newquay itself. Bargain as well 18 pounds! The fact I slept in the car has got nothing to do with the camp set that was just my inability to get comfortable. The ground was hard but not too hard if that makes sense, you know it was perfect for setting a tent up; pegs went in great and stayed in when windy but could I get comfy, NOPE! Otherwise it was a great few days, I do like camping providing I can get comfy and be warm!

As I writing I’m looking for new camping gear, an inflatable mattress and a bigger tent. This blog really does help me, I was ready to hit boiling point before I started writing this but it has calmed me down. I’m also watching Gus Hansen play 200/400 PLO on full tilt. I like PLO but I’ll learn fixed Holdem first I think. He's not having his own way.

I suppose I should talk about poker. I’ll start with poker then talk about something I’m not happy about with pokerstrategy.com but maybe I’m being unreasonable I don’t know, if I am I apologise.

Session up until yesterday morning were going well and all winning sessions. Yesterday morning was my first losing session. Reviewed all 66 hands, I know small sample so wasn’t too bothered by that. Likewise didn’t see anything in the histories that I didn’t like. I put one hands up for evaluation. But today, well where I start. I was watch high stakes poker while playing, first mistake. I made some stupid checks, calls and raises. Was unlucky in some situations but in the most part I should of been in those situation in the first place. 180 hands and a buyin down. Not happy. I’m chilling before I review this session.

Apart from that watching the basic video and reading the article which leads me to the point I’m not happy about. I joined pokerstrategy.com last week 16th July. Now you may be wondering how I can still be a basic member and have played 244 hands I mentioned in this post. I played nearly 1500 but am still a basic member because an error when registering. That in itself I’m not annoyed about, I work with computers everyday and all day, whether it be on a car or I’m using a pc. People input data wrong or simply computer don’t do what they should do. I don’t mind contacting full tilt to make sure I downloaded to software correctly from the correct link, which I did and the correct bonus code was entered. What annoyed me is the fact I’m not being told why. Now is that because I’m childish??? Is that me?? Or is that rude??? I can’t get away with in my line of work. (customer service) all I want to know is why I’m not getting the points after confirmed everything correct and when I’m going to get them. What are everyone’s thoughts?

I don’t wish to create bad blood or upset anyone but this is important to me and I want thing to be right. Especially when I haven’t done anything wrong.

Laterz Jono
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      where you at uni wriggers??
      I'm at Newcastle uni mate :)