2 Machines Sharing a Database?

• lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm a poker newbie, currently using PokerTracker on the 60 day free trial they offer. I usually play on my desktop, and plan to continue using it as my main machine because it's high spec so runs nice and fast, and the 22" monitor is ideal for multi-tabling.

The problem I've got is that my desktop is in my bedroom, so I can't use it if my wife's asleep (she's a nurse, so works shifts so sometimes needs to sleep in the day or early evening). I have a laptop which I can use, but will I be able to run PokerTracker on this machine as well? And run the same database? I've got plenty of pen drives and external hard drives knocking around the house that I could store it on, or I could put it on the network (I'm an IT nerd). But will the software itself let me do this? And if not, is there an alternative that would? (I'll be trialling HEM after PokerTracker before I decide which one to buy).

Any tips or advice from someone with a similar setup would be greatly appreciated.
  • 7 replies
    • gormless
      gormless
      Bronze
      Best not to try using the same database.
      What I do with the elephant is to get the hand importer to move the files to another directory (this is always a good thing to do anyway as it improves the speed of the import process and stops the hud crashing)
      Then just do a manual import when I am opening up on a different machine before starting the session.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      It seems it's not something I could do on the trial anyway, so I've just bought the licence for PokerTracker and will try and get it set up this way tonight.

Thanks for your help.
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      This is two years old but, you never know, it might help.

http://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4638
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      I'll certainly play around with it and see if I can get something running, but I don't have a server, just 2 PC's networked to each other, and I don't want to have to leave them both on.

Thanks.
    • xero100
      xero100
      Bronze
      get external HDD or flash memory and setup PostgreSQL to save your database to that external hdd or whatava you have.
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Not using PT, but Poker Copilot on a Mac; however, I solved that issue with Dropbox. I save the HH files directly into a Dropbox folder that I access from both computers. I'm not sure, but I guess it could also work on PC.
    • lollujo
      lollujo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xero100
      get external HDD or flash memory and setup PostgreSQL to save your database to that external hdd or whatava you have.
      I'm leaning towards this as a solution. Another newbie question coming up, how big do these databases typically get? I have a 16GB pen drive that I could use, is that going to be big enough long term? If not, what sort of size drive should I get?