[NL2-NL10] KK NL2 Bad river card ?

• stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (CO) ($2.20)
      Button ($5.61)
      SB ($2)
      BB ($2)
      UTG ($2.15)
      UTG+1 ($2.36)
      MP1 ($1.98)
      MP2 ($2.82)
      MP3 ($2)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K
      1 fold, UTG+1 bets $0.06, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.14, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.31) J, 3, 7 (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.71) 9 (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.71, Hero calls $0.71

River: ($2.13) 8 (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $1.31 (All-In), Hero ?

What would you guys do in that situation?
      Lay down is best option?

I think I should of went all-in in the turn already...after reviewing this hand.

I don't see villain having a straight(A10 or Q10), but maybe a flush is possible.

His stats ((over 31 hands only):
      VPIP 35
      PFR : 25
      Agr factor : 60
  • 4 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      BUMP!
      (Sorry I don't know if that's allow won't do it again if not.)
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Well, once it's NL2 and villain has opened up as UTG, it is most likely that he will have something like AT+ or pocket pairs, unless he is real loose (it depends on how the game was before this particular hand, and we have no info on that).

So just considering his range as AT+ or PP, the best thing to do pre-flop would have been 3-betting 3x his bet amount, i.e. 0.18 instead of 0.14. It's close, but it's better to keep consistency on your 3-betting amount.

Then, he could actually have AJ in order to donk bet like that. Instead of just calling, you should have raised on the flop, just to start with, once this board is quite draw-heavy (club draws and straight draws are out there). If he had AJ, hitting top pair, it would have been hard for him to get away from it while you kept value-betting.

The 9h on the turn just makes things worse, once it improves previous straight draws as well. Once again, a raise would have been necessary. At this point the only made straight would be the one made by T8, which is just too unlikely given his UTG raise.

Naturally, once the 8c hit the river and he moved all-in you were left clueless about your place in this hand. It could be a bluff, once it is not a practice of NL2 players to semi-bluff/value-bet their flush and straight draws. Instead, they just play it passively and wait for the card to hit.

Remember that when you pick AA and KK, you have a good chance of winning the pot, but you must also be 3x more aware of what is happening, once you still have to protect your hand and avoid overplaying it.

Hope it helps!
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      AFter thinking about it I played this hand terrible, thanks for the tips blackops888
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by blackops888
      Well, once it's NL2 and villain has opened up as UTG, it is most likely that he will have something like AT+ or pocket pairs, unless he is real loose (it depends on how the game was before this particular hand, and we have no info on that).

So just considering his range as AT+ or PP, the best thing to do pre-flop would have been 3-betting 3x his bet amount, i.e. 0.18 instead of 0.14. It's close, but it's better to keep consistency on your 3-betting amount.

Then, he could actually have AJ in order to donk bet like that. Instead of just calling, you should have raised on the flop, just to start with, once this board is quite draw-heavy (club draws and straight draws are out there). If he had AJ, hitting top pair, it would have been hard for him to get away from it while you kept value-betting.

The 9h on the turn just makes things worse, once it improves previous straight draws as well. Once again, a raise would have been necessary. At this point the only made straight would be the one made by T8, which is just too unlikely given his UTG raise.

Naturally, once the 8c hit the river and he moved all-in you were left clueless about your place in this hand. It could be a bluff, once it is not a practice of NL2 players to semi-bluff/value-bet their flush and straight draws. Instead, they just play it passively and wait for the card to hit.

Remember that when you pick AA and KK, you have a good chance of winning the pot, but you must also be 3x more aware of what is happening, once you still have to protect your hand and avoid overplaying it.

Hope it helps!
      Sounds fine, raise bigger preflop, raise the flop and get it in. Failing that, you're pretty much forced to call the river against that guy, it's not that common for people to lead out twice with draws so huge and he looks like he's fairly loose aggressive overall.

Hope it helps.