Pushing UTG with 4BB

• 6 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Hi. It's often a horrible mistake to push ATC UTG with 4 bb.

A common mistake is to overestimate the cost of hitting the blinds. When you hit the blinds, this does not mean you will be executed. It means you post part of your stack as a blind before you find out whether anyone else is interested in playing, and before you find out whether you get a good hand. Sometimes you get a walk. Sometimes you get a good hand. Sometimes two players collide and you can happily fold and watch them knock each other out. Sometimes, you lose the blinds, and then get several free hands, chances to pick up something good.

If you fold UTG on the bubble, there is a significant chance the bubble will end on this hand, before you hit the blinds. If you push, you greatly reduce the chance that two bigger stacks will collide. It is usually a disaster to get called and overcalled, even without considering that the caller and overcaller might have collided if you had folded.

It can be nice to have some folding equity. This lets you semibluff all-in with more hands. If you don't have folding equity, then you are left pushing more value-type hands. This means you will get more action on your good hands, and if you double up, you may have folding equity again.

You do not lose folding equity all at once. This means pushing is less urgent earlier. Once you have lost most of your folding equity, it is usually a big mistake to push with trash. When you have 4 big blinds, and the big blind would be getting almost 2:1 to call, how much folding equity do you expect to have? Check your database to see how often people fold to pushes of that size.

I know that Collin Moshman's book says there are times when it is clear to push ATC UTG to preserve folding equity. Even Collin has said that particular advice fit the 2007 games better than today's games. Back then, people gave UTG pushes too much respect. Now, many more people will put you on a wide range when you push a short stack UTG, and you can expect to get called much more often.
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      Hello pzhon,

thank you for your video, posts, and comments!

You really should think about writing some strategy articles or record some new videos for PS.com,
      because actual stuff on PS.com is little bit out of date and you are the right guy for new stuff here, GL! :f_thumbsup:
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Proky11
      Hello pzhon,

thank you for your video, posts, and comments!

You really should think about writing some strategy articles or record some new videos for PS.com,
      because actual stuff on PS.com is little bit out of date and you are the right guy for new stuff here, GL! :f_thumbsup:
      I can only agree.
      It's nice to have a coach here being very activ and giving very solid advice. *thumbs up*
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I remember watching Pzhon on Stox poker and between him and Colin you didn't need to watch anything else.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Did you only just arrive phzon ? Everytime I look at a question that looks to have a simple answer, you are there writing something really deep that opens my eyes. Thanks for your contributions and +1 on the more vids/articles
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Yes, I am new to PokerStrategy, and have only made one video so far. I look forward to contributing both by making videos and contributing to the forums, and I appreciate the warm welcome I have received here.