Late position raising against 70/30 donks. What to do?

• blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      So guys... I came across this situations a lot on my NL5 session on Poker Stars today. I was on the CO or BU with, say T9s, QJo, etc (marginal hands, in general) and there were two or more 70/30 or 40/10 (VPIP/PFR) donk/fishes behind.

It was folded to me, I made my standard 4BB raise, got called on two spots, and did not hit the board in any manner.

Practice has shown to me that it was not worthy c-betting in those spots, once they would call with anything from bottom pair to flush/straight draws. If I don't hit anything on the board by the river, I'm most likely busted with high card value only.

What should one do in these situations? Sometimes I was so clueless that I even limped with QJ on the button, just because I knew they would call me anyway with the 4BB raise and then, by limping, I would lose less in case I did not hit. If I hit and they hit something too on a limped pot, I was likely to have action anyway.

It makes me think that the primary beneficiary of my raise almost always is not me, but someone else who hit anyhing on the flop and will stick to it until the end.

Do you have this kind of experince too? How do you handle it?
  • 2 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Sit to their left from now on. ;)

And 4bb on NL5 seems way too much for me. I don't think they can call you all the way with bottom pair. You should probably start double barelling and triple barelling especially scare cards. If you don't feel comfortable doing so play only good cards (no marginal hands) or leave the table.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Yes, this is called "I'm not hitting any flops" syndrome... Try to be patient. Don't change your standard game just because you haven't been hitting the flop recently. They'll compensate your loses when you hit just make sure to protect your hand when you hit.