Flush / OE straight draws

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      I am curious to hear what people have to say about how they play those hands. I play 5/10 and I have been having some success playing these hands by betting them a little over the proper odds. I changed the way I played these draws because I felt I was playing defensive and waiting for others to give me proper odds, which no one ever does. And when they did hit, they were never for much money because the pot was not actively made bigger.

For example...

I have A 10 of hearts. The flop is K 5 9, with two hearts.

Now, the odds say that if a bet is made I should fold if I am not given 3 to 1. So what I have been doing is trying to be first to bet. I will usually bet half pot. I know this is not the proper odds but I do it because...

a) I feel like a smaller bet will just get raised and not get taken seriously, especially at these micro stakes, and then I HAVE to fold.

b) it disguises my hand a little better.

c) I give my opponent the opportunity to fold.

Like I said, I have been having some success doing this because if I get called, the pot is big enough to be worth while if I hit and many people fold or fold on the turn, where I make a equal $ bet to the first one (therefore, evening out the fact that after the flop I bet too much. Also, the amount that I am actually betting is not so large that I commit myself if something goes awry.

I am concerned, however, that if I move onto higher stakes that this strategy will be very transparent.

Thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I'm still relatively fishy but I find this line completely fine sometimes. Semi-bluffing 1/2 pot adds fold equity and increases implied odds by disguising your hand. Ifyou just check/call then hit a heart it's quite obvious what you have so implied odds are low. Although we could both be completely wrong and maybe we shouldn't have done that :p
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      I also enjoy semi bluffing half the time, I vary from the half pot semi bluff to checking completly, however when you say you are not getting the proper odds to call the full pot size bet, if you are playing bss you are mistaken because of your implied odds you should have. I also mix up my play when I hit the flush in that sittuation on the turn, I sometimes check the turn to convice my opponent I don't have the flush, this might encourage him to make a small raise thinking he has the best hand, or increases the chances of him calling a big raise on the river.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      ... interesting views.

I never thought to frame it perceptually as a semi bluff. Because I don't bluff very often, especially at micro, I guess that is why I used to just wait to call a bet with good odds (didn't think about implied odds... thanks Ze) when I had a draw because I felt I didn't REALLY have anything, just the potential for something. I find it interesting how my perception of what I have, because I don't bluff often, made me see my drawing hands as more a liability then anything else. Before, the most difficult decisions and the hardest hands to play were these drawing hands because I framed them perceptually as NOT a 'made' hand. My black and white perceptions, rooted in not bluffing, seem to have limited my ability to see beyond 'made' and 'junk'.