CO: $5.54
      BTN: $5
      Hero (SB): $3.88
      BB: $11.78
      UTG: $5.99
      UTG+1: $5
      UTG+2: $4.85

MP2 posts $0.05
      Pre-Flop: K:heart: A:spade: dealt to Hero (SB)
      4 folds, MP2 checks, CO folds, BTN raises to $0.25, Hero calls $0.23, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.60) Q:club: 4:spade: Q:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.60) 7:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.95, BTN calls $0.65

River: ($2.50) K:club: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.95, Hero calls $0.95

Hi everyone,

No solid reads. Unknown opponent. Tend to play on the tighter side though.. Was it a reasonable play to check-raise him on the turn trying to take a stab on the flop? and what about my call on the river? I would have folded the river if the king (or ace) didn't come because he was telling me that he had a kind of hand after calling my check-raise on the turn and I obviously didn't. Was it ok not to bet out on the river due to the possibility of villain having hit the queen on the flop and opting for a check/call

Thx for any feedback..

• 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Just 3-bet preflop, he's raising over a limper on the BU, the better he is the less of a hand he needs to do that, you'll just see people fold to you a ton, which is usually better than trying to play a drawing hand like AK out of position from the blinds.

Postflop it's hard to say, his range will vary a lot depending on what kind of player he is. Usually I'll just call the turn to see what happens since AK-high might be good and people usually won't bet both the turn and the river if they're just stabbing at the pot. I don't hate the check/raise but I think you'll accomplish pretty much the same thing against worse hands and get owned by better hands in the process, so there isn't really an upside to it.

On the river it's a fine call. If he happens to be some reg it's just more and more likely he checked back Qx or something because regs will usually c-bet pure air on that flop and they aren't valuebetting less than Kx on that river. Still with him being an unknown you likely have no choice but to call, he can show up with bluffs and worse pairs all the same.

Hope it helps.