This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] ako

• maykel
      maykel
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Known players:
      SB:
      $11.59
      BB:
      $10.91
      MP2:
      $3.91
      MP3:
      $13.39
      CO:
      $12.19
      BU (Hero):
      $10.09

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.30, CO folds, Hero calls $0.30, SB raises to $1.30, 2 folds, [COLOR=red]Hero..?

mp3:13/4/54h

sb: 18/13/0 3b/ 0 zqs/100 h

3b vs mp3? 0% OP early
      easy fold vs sb?
  • 3 replies
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      definitely 3-bet v mp3. Calling leaves you set up for a squeeze from the blinds which could signal strength or he could see you as dead money. It is difficult spot you could have avoided by 3-betting.
      As played I would 4-bet/shove since sb is likely to squeeze with a range you are slightly ahead of.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Hey maykel. This is a tough spot. MP3 is a real nit, once he only played some 6 hands over 54, with a PFR of 4%. This is enough to realize that this guy has been waiting for a spot to get in and raise. I would never put him in anything below QQ or AK.

I agree with delete461. You should have 3-bet him, given your good hand and absolute position. A raise to something around $1.00 would be OK. That would avoid any further move from SB, unless he really had a hand like AA or KK. In the same way, if you are 4-bet by MP3, you should also fold, given his nitty stats.

As you can see by the way the hand developed, MP3 actually folded to SB's 3-bet. So 3-betting could have ended the hand in your favor right on the spot. It makes me think he had nothing more than a medium strenght pair, like 99 or TT.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Truthfully we have no reason whatsoever to be worried about getting squeezed by a guy who never 3-bet before, so there goes that argument. If SB was a squeeze monkey, we would actually love to flat call, since it will get SB to spazz with a range that can't stand a 5-bet jam most of the time, and with our position we can even make sure MP3 doesn't have a monster before we happily shove our stack into SB's face.

I agree that MP3 looks very tight, tho it's only 50 hands and he's still liable to have stuff like 99-JJ/AQ together with his QQ+/AK. The reason you should usually go for a 3-bet is because it'll get him to 4-bet KK+ so you can fold, and when he calls he usually has more often 99-QQ/AQ, which you can play very well against postflop in position.

Hope it helps.