3F - Focus, Fun and Flexibility - Taking shots at NL10 SH, woohoo!

• nathanrenard

Hi, my real name is Jônatas Aimbiré, and i play at Full Tilt Poker (and also PokerStars eventually) with the screen name of 'aimbire', after a few attempts, some big MTT hits, i never actually grinded hard to become a poker player. Used to play just like a hobby and a way to make some decent cash sometimes. Now i've really decided to put the effort to grind up the limits and i've set myself this challenge to do so.

My Pre-3F Poker History (updated August 19th, 2010)
      I Started out playing poker about 18 months ago, free with some friends at my 22nd birthday party, we just freerolled, i got the concepts of hand ranges, showdown games and actually believed flush were all the same (like a ace-high flush ties with a 6-high flush :f_confused: ).

So as of online i only played on PKR Room for a couple times, and after joining PokerStars i've won $10, with that money i played some sessions (i think it was NL10, not sure), reached ~$35 in like 30 minutes, and after 2 minutes the whole money was gone (yeah, who would've thought, right?).

So i didn't want to deposit my own money into the game, but i feel a little bit addicted already, so i've google it everywhere if there was someway i could get about $10 again on PokerStars, and somehow i've found PokerStrategy.com :f_biggrin: .

Joined the community, registred, tried to get the test answers on google instead of reading the articles (man, what a moron), passed the quiz, send my info when requested and of course, PokerStars didn't accept the bonus on my 2nd account (btw, i've told PokerStars support already, and the account is closed). So PokerStrategy support said i need to choose another Poker Room, and i choose Full Tilt, i didn't had a clue what rakeback was actually, but the site at the time as i was oblivious to almost everything, seemed a nice place to play.

Now, as you can see by history, i burned my $50 capital in a short time because i didn't play good solid BR managment (moron, part 2). Then i said to myself: "oh, i'm just unlucky". Huge mistake, made a $150 deposit from my own pocket (i used to get a $500 monthly wage by that time, yes, i know, i was stupid back then). And when i got exactly $1.40 in my account in a timespan of about two weeks. (You know first deposit bonus? I've only cleared $15 bucks of it), i said to myself, this can't be possible.

Now newsflash i DO have a friend who makes a living playing online poker. And i asked him if i was too bad for it. He said: "Take a break, read everything you can, and then, only then, sit down at the tables. I'll help". I did that, listened to the voice of experience and notice the my game had so many flaws it was impossible to win money in the long run. I did played some live tournaments and a few friendly cash games and i can say in six months i've made a profit of about $3,5k. But now things will get more serious over time.
      End of story?

So, i live in Brazil , to be more precise in a little island on Santa Catarina called 'Florianópolis'. And to make this blog really personal, i will eventually post some photos once in a while to talk about non-poker stuff.

Just so you can have a short-term idea of how beautifull my town is, below are two pictures. First is one of the most famous beach around here (one of the 40+ around here) on usual summer:

And this one is from another beach that stays on a adjacent island, but still from my town:

3F Challenge, as of August 19th, 2010
      For the ones who followed this blog since the beggining it started 100% sng and after i got this one-in-a-lifetime-opportunity of being coached by a far more experienced player on cash games, i've moved almost all my focus to the ring games. Just to be clear, vonki didn't talked me out of sngs, this was already a long term plan and because of this chance i've got it has been speeded up.

This personal challenge will no longer a focus on SNGs, although they won't be completely gone for a little while, but most likely they will be only for recreational purposes after i'm ready to play for NL25 SH NLHE.

I won't be posting too much of how results are going (and won't be paying attention to them too), but on fridays after rakeback cashes in, i'll shall post some graphs. And also i'll be trying to post daily snippets of sessions i've played (they're random though), raw and unedited so maybe some cool evaluations can come.

Short Term Goals:
      • Acquire enough experience and have a solid bankroll on NL5 FR NLHE.
      • Move up the limits and play NL10 FR NLHE
      • Study some of PokerStrategy.com articles on BSS every week.
      • Finish reading "The Poker Blueprint".

Mid Term Goals:
      • Change from NL10 FR NLHE to NL10 SH NLHE.
      • Read "The Poker Mindset".

Long Term Goals:
      • Start playing NL25 SH NLHE
      • Achieve a gold status member on PokerStrategy.com

• Always respect my coach.
      • Never play on "tilt", i.e. making decisions that i wouldn't usually make for any reason.

All the sessions will be 30-90 minutes long. For every 30 minutes played, i get 5 for a break. If at anytime i feel i'm not playing my "A"-Game i will take a break as long as it's needed.

Any comment is always appreciated and i promise to treat everyone with the same respect i like to treat everyone around me. :f_biggrin:

Best Regards.
  • 86 replies
    • SamBurton5
      are you going to be playing mtt sng? whats you br?
    • nathanrenard
      I will be playing only 9-handed turbo $1.20 sngs @ Full Tilt Poker (:
    • nathanrenard
      I'm physically ill, so i wasn't able to play as much as i thought i should. However i hit some big session swings. (Both up and down).

Biggest Upswing was a <80% ROI, and the biggest downswing was right now a -50%. That sucks. Took a little break to review the hands, find some icm issues and spotted some. Althought most of them was correct pushes just ran into sick BB.

I promised a Graph as soon as i get 320 games, so that shall be up tommorow already. Now i'm just going to have a good night of sleep to try getting better from this illness. Status are being updated on the first post all the time :f_biggrin:

Although i'm feeling cool :f_cool:
    • nathanrenard
      So just had a pretty rough session again. Now i'm down 3 out of 3 sessions (Still playing some more). Yesterday before going to sleep i've read some articles on push-or-fold stages and watch a video from chan.

Now i'm going to review some of my hands from this last session, but most of the times i'd popped the bubbled or got out in 3rd in a 70% x 30%. No love for the fish :f_cry:

Still a little more to go and i'll post the unfortunate not that good graph (my roi right now is about 9% so that sucks a lot). Maybe if you guys can evaluate if the swings are regular. After the graph i'll post some 3 or 4 hands for evaluation ofc.

Update: Another sick downswing and my ROI is as bad as 7%. Time to take a well deserved break. Was another session when i lost dominating pre-flop and Villians get 4 to a flush, Str8 and all kinda crap. "It's one big session", but this is one big SICK session.
    • nathanrenard
      So i've made the first Graph marker. 320 games. And i'm not that happy. First the Graph:

Full Size
      ROI: 10.16% / Net Won: $39.00.

The graph speak for itself. Although i'm not happy now it's time to watch another video. As i feel the next 320 games will makes this graph cry (of sadness).

I would like to post some hands for evaluation, but i can't seem to convert them and show the Villian's hole cards, any help? :f_confused:

More to come, hopefully, good words.
    • nathanrenard
      Hand 1

Full Tilt Poker Game #22619171574: $1 + $0.20 Sit & Go (Turbo) (174694482), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:29:50 ET - 2010/07/26
      Seat 1: cchriztal (1,500)
      Seat 2: killercombo1 (1,500)
      Seat 3: gavilan7003 (1,500)
      Seat 4: Ares456 (1,500)
      Seat 5: Vodka v Glotku (1,500)
      Seat 6: jggbear (1,500)
      Seat 7: dreamin4cards (1,500)
      Seat 8: mrmagoo58 (1,500)
      Seat 9: aimbire (1,500)
      cchriztal posts the small blind of 15
      killercombo1 posts the big blind of 30
      The button is in seat #9
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to aimbire [Kh Ks]
      gavilan7003 has 15 seconds left to act
      gavilan7003 calls 30
      Ares456 has 15 seconds left to act
      Ares456 folds
      Vodka v Glotku folds
      jggbear has 15 seconds left to act
      jggbear raises to 60
      dreamin4cards folds
      mrmagoo58 folds
      aimbire raises to 180
      cchriztal folds
      killercombo1 folds
      gavilan7003 folds
      jggbear raises to 1,500, and is all in
      aimbire calls 1,320, and is all in
      jggbear shows [Kc As]
      aimbire shows [Kh Ks]
      *** FLOP *** [Ad Js 4s]
      *** TURN *** [Ad Js 4s] [7d]
      *** RIVER *** [Ad Js 4s 7d] [6c]
      jggbear shows a pair of Aces
      aimbire shows a pair of Kings
      jggbear wins the pot (3,075) with a pair of Aces
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot 3,075 | Rake 0
      Board: [Ad Js 4s 7d 6c]
      Seat 1: cchriztal (small blind) folded before the Flop
      Seat 2: killercombo1 (big blind) folded before the Flop
      Seat 3: gavilan7003 folded before the Flop
      Seat 4: Ares456 didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 5: Vodka v Glotku didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 6: jggbear showed [Kc As] and won (3,075) with a pair of Aces
      Seat 7: dreamin4cards didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 8: mrmagoo58 didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 9: aimbire (button) showed [Kh Ks] and lost with a pair of Kings
      Can anybody help me convert this hand? All times i don't get the 'results' part ok :f_frown:
    • nathanrenard
      Just did a little update to my bloghriophy so you can feel a little more: 'i know you know!'.

Oh and tell that i've just finishing re-reading a Silver Article and the watching (frist time) a video, you guys should check it out, really good material as always:

• SAGE (link)
      • JonathanLittle's video on "How to Multitable" (link).

Cya guys soon!
    • nathanrenard
      Hi guys,

So i just got back to work yesterday and haven't had any time to play poker, (i'm still ill btw, i got a major infection on my nose, ouch! :f_mad: )

So i talked to a close friend (and fellow poker player), and he considered that i'd change my bankroll managment to be a little less conservative at least for the micro stakes.

I'd had to agree with him as the rake is a killer: $1.20 (20% rake). And he said as i can play them decently, won't be a huge variance killer, it's still a pretty safe br managment.

So from now on i've changed (only for micros), my bankroll managment to 10% of the whole sets, so the minimum bankroll required for $1.20 changed from $384 to $192 and to $2.25 from $720 to $360.

That's a huge change actually, but still i'm will probably maintain the 2% on the low stakes sng's, who will now. Oh! And i've also updated the goals, setting them short, mid and long term.

I'll play a little today, a bunch more tommorow. Now i've got another F to work on, Flexibility.
    • nathanrenard

So my first set today, was one of the most painfull ever. From 16 tables, i've managed to go HU, once (did won it at least). ROI as bad as -40%.

Got sucked out mostly, all in 90% on the turn, got behind on the turn or river. From 16 games i got ITM only 4 games (3 3rd, 1 1st). It was so painfull to burst 5 bubbles, and 3 5th places.

Not sure how wide i'll need to get, but most of the tables were still 6-7 handed with blinds 200/400 (wow).

When i got the SB, BU open-shove opportunity (even with marginal hands), i've ran into monsters. And oh yeah, i got two premium the whole set, ofc they lost. I'll take a break from this session, although it wasn't the most negative ROI session, it was so mind breaking i think i'll go to the gym a while to motivate something else.

Still want to play at least more 2 or 3 sets today. Cya!
    • nathanrenard
      Another bad session for me. Not sure what's going on, will take a time on this next hour to review bad hands. Got some crazy dudes.

Although in general it's not hard to beat micros 'cause the sea is so filled with fish, beating them is easy, now getting over variance it's a different cause.

Oh well, i'll go to sleep, try to think straight, tommorow will actually be another slow day.
    • nathanrenard
      Got a weekend off poker (good one btw).

Can anybody recomend me a article/book/video so i can give that refuel? The swings are becoming brutal to my emotions.
    • Lindberg789
      I just read your blog, nice reading.
      I agree with your friend that for micros you shouldn't be conservative. 50-100 BI is enough imo.

Recommended reading: Moshman on sngs, Kill everyone by lee nelson (Mostly for mtt sngs and normal mtts).
      Another recommendation is poker mindset, haven't read it myself but it comes highly recommended.

Keep up the good work.
      Another thing, don't mind the swings it's all about the long run. :f_biggrin:
    • nathanrenard
      Hey guys, haven't post in a while for a number of reasons.

First, my laptop decided to die, yeah that stinks. And i actually lost the whole info i had on my challenge what only completed my tilting on that moment (although i remind being ROI 12% after ~550 games).

So that friend of mine got from Vegas here yesterday to visit his parents and of course play the LAPT (i live in Florianópolis, Brazil. Just as a reminder), and i've decided to talk with him about this challenge, about my play and everything.

He agreed to coach me personally and also from Vegas once he returns there (i'll hope with the LAPT Main Event title). And after he watched me play almost as silent for about 4 hours we talked a lot of PokerStrategy and he showed me using the data we collected all my leaks and explained me why i was doing that.

So i'll be updating the top post pretty soon as my challenge will change goals, rules and approach. Pretty much everything (winning money still in the mind).

As a quick-response to that, it's good to know a :s_cool: friend will be on my side right now and i got myself a renew energy to grind up the limits.

But i've still didn't managed to find out how the hell i post my hands with results being shown.
    • nathanrenard
      Just played a few sngs today and already reading articles of BSS to start cash games as my coach reccomended me to improve my game.

Also posted what will be my cash games BR managment, follows the same idea of the SNGs one. And the sessions will be 75 minutes with 15 minute breaks also.

For now all i can say is that these few first games are in a 'break-even' kinda thing. I'm getting too tight near bubble (5-handed) and also a pretty unlucky when i finally decide to shove, got to wide a little more my hand range on those.
    • nathanrenard
      Hey guys,

Haven't gave up on the challenge but if got something bad on my skin. I've managed to develop an abscess. That gives me a lot of pain actually. And as everybody may know, pain is not good for playing any game as my concentration goes down the toilet.

As soon as i come back to the tables i'll post about it. But i did managed to go up for $2.25 for a while, but then got back down some pretty coolers that are standard.

Best for me, and cya guys!
    • nathanrenard
      So good night everyone. I'll be posting my graphs on Friday as i will also get a day off work.

About my health, i'm getting better, now i can actually stay sat down for a long period of time and no pain (gotta love meds).

So i've made up to the $2.25 SNGs, and now actually pretty comfortable now as you can see on the top post on my actuall bankroll. Made a good run on the last 4 games, after getting stuck 4BI on this stake, i've made 2 3rds and 2 1st.

As University is back on i got to have a LOT of Flexibility to play my game (and still have time for the most important thing, have fun).

Hopefully after Friday morning i'll post a good graph here. Maybe i can reach $6.50 in September? Let's hope so (:

Update: I've changed my short-term goals, as they are now completed.
    • lessthanthreee
      hey, nice blog. well thought out goals.

I suggest you do some research into long term sustainable 9-man ROIs because this goal is completely unrealistic.

Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Achieve a ROI between 15-30% on 9-handed $2.25 turbo SNGs.
      you can probably sustain 10-15% if you play very well and run decent. but dont expect to run better than that over decent samples. especially once u move up limits.

at high stakes 5% rois are the norm.
    • nathanrenard
      Hey lessthanthreee, thanks for the response.

Although that's a goal set only for micro stakes, the thought of 10-15% on low stakes was already on my line of process, it's really good getting this info on someone who has a load lot of experience than i do.

Decided to lower for this stake to a more 'realistic' between 12-18% as i still got some edge on these ones. Hopefully i can play some more games today.
    • nathanrenard
      Friday 13th?

Well it started out pretty good for me actually. My abscess is almost completely gone, and i'm running hot right now on the $2.25 9-handed turbos @ Full Tilt.

Tommorow, as soon as rakeback cashes in (and oh yeah, i get home) i'll be posting a graph of how it's going since the beggining. It's pretty easy to see this run on the graph. Hopefully i won't get a sick 30 BI downswing right now.

Bad news? I will have to work tommorow. What can i do? I have to pay the bills somehow, right? Check tommorow as this post will get an update most likely about 13:00 ET.

Cya Guys.