[NL2-NL10] NL 2 JJ paired board

• stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 ($2)
      Hero (CO) ($2)
      Button ($1.62)
      SB ($1.20)
      BB ($1.19)
      UTG ($2.66)
      MP1 ($0.90)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, J
      3 folds, Hero bets $0.06, Button calls $0.06, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.15) K, 5, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, Button calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.31) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16

River: ($0.63) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.48, Hero ?

The kind of situation I sometimes get confused
  • 5 replies
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      First of all bet $0,08 Preflop.

Flop ($0,19): Bet about 2/3 of pot, it should be standard contibet, and you can represent K here.

Turn: I would probably check/fold here. When he just called your Flop bet he could easily have K, and that 1/2 pot bet on turn looks to me he's maybe even slowplaying a set and just beging you to give him some money.

As I'm just beginner as well, I'm looking forward to see other opinions :f_p:
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Ok well, here's how I think :

The guy made initial raise, here I took down his stats 14/9 on 99 hands.

If I am right a contibet can be 1/2 of the pot too so I am not too sure if that's wrong.

But, the turn play might be wrong you are right maybe check/fold would of been the way to go.

At the same time only hands that could be me are Kx, AK, QQ....Do I really want him to believe he has a hand just by flat calling the flop?

As we know that bet on the river could represent a missing flush draw, let me know what you think.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      Preflop: It says you made initial bet, and button called

Flop: Contibet can be 1/2 of pot, but with that contibet you're just inviting flush draw to call you.

Turn/River: I completely agree with you. He doesn't have to have a hand because he called on flop. He could have a busted draw on river. And yes, JJ are pretty good hand preflop. But on that turn with 1 overcard to your pair, 2 flush draws, and a posibal straight, I'm just not investing any more money in that hand. I'm maybe wrong here, but I've lost too much money on such hands, that I just give him some credit of having a hand, and move on to find better spots for investing money.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Oly0909
      Preflop: It says you made initial bet, and button called

Flop: Contibet can be 1/2 of pot, but with that contibet you're just inviting flush draw to call you.

Turn/River: I completely agree with you. He doesn't have to have a hand because he called on flop. He could have a busted draw on river. And yes, JJ are pretty good hand preflop. But on that turn with 1 overcard to your pair, 2 flush draws, and a posibal straight, I'm just not investing any more money in that hand. I'm maybe wrong here, but I've lost too much money on such hands, that I just give him some credit of having a hand, and move on to find better spots for investing money.

Wow i was still sleepy sorry about that lol...

Thanks for your help let's see what the judge thinks
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You shouldn't expect a 14/9 to valuebet worse than JJ on the turn on his own, and it's not really a board where he'll be able to show up with random floats either. The point is if he bets there he'll either have a Kx which beats you or a draw that would have called a bet anyway, so if you're not going to check/fold you're usually better off bet/folding than check/calling. Still it's probably safer to check/fold against people who look rather tight.

All of this is assuming you had bet stronger on the flop like Oly999 suggested. As it is you really made it cheap on bad players to see a turn, which could tip his range somewhat towards more air hands just hanging around and that could potentially bluff at the turn, hence making a check/call a little better.

Hope it helps.