[NL2-NL10] AQs from mid position - cbet but then what?

• oddsagainst
      oddsagainst
      Bronze
      Hey, fairly new to the poker scene. Just wondering how you guys would play the turn and river.

Party, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $2.04
      BB: $0.59
      UTG: $2.10
      Hero (UTG+1): $4.26
      MP1: $1.30
      MP2: $0.76
      CO: $3.75
      BTN: $2.02

Pre-Flop: Q:diamond: A:diamond: dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
      UTG calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 6 folds, UTG calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.23) T:spade: 3:heart: 8:club: (2 Players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.14, UTG calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.51) A:spade: (2 Players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.51) K:diamond: (2 Players)
      UTG bets $0.36

Firstly, is it a good idea for me to cbet the flop and then check the turn A? What should I be doing on the river bet?

Player is fairly TAGish. I rate I have a slightly loose image.
  • 5 replies
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      preflop and flop play is ok

you definitely should bet turn for value, since you bet flop and keep betting he wont beleive you have an A

As played I think raise the river, he likely has a K here and since you checked turn he thinks the A scared you and he has you beat.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      I would bet like $0,16 on flop, but $0,14 is good as well.

Now on Turn you hit one of your overcards, and a flush draw is posibal now, so you have to bet here, and for value and for protection, probably about 4/5 of pot. There's no sense in betting when you have nothing, and then checking when you hit one of your outs. It's like you're slowplaying a hand that could easily be beaten.

As played, I think exactly like delete461. Raise the river, he could easily be on KQ, KJ kind of hand.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I agre with everyone, should of bet the turn for sure!

He limps than calls....that tells me he is probably not on AA. Hitting that ace most likely gave you the best hand.

I think the 2 answers before me are right
    • oddsagainst
      oddsagainst
      Bronze
      Thanks guys. To be honest, I thought he calls the flop bet because either he knows I'm cbetting and hopes to bluff me off (not so likely), he's hit the 10 or maybe the 8, or he's sitting on a pair.

I actually was hoping to induce a bluff on the river by checking the turn to show weakness, and then call or raise on the river. Would that line be ok? I'm hardly putting him on a draw based on the flop call.

Thanks again. Result:

Hero calls, villain shows 33 for set.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Micro-stakes => when in doubt, bet for value with your big hands.

Once you have seen people be aggressive and all it's fine to start taking inducing lines, but most players at these stakes will just be too passive for that overall strategy to be better than just valuebetting.

He could have called the flop with 8x/Tx which he'll likely call another bet with on the turn (maybe not 8x), J9 that will call a turn bet for sure, stuff like QJ for that bad players will chase their gutshot with anyway, random A-high hands that now made top pairs and won't ever fold even if you bet turn shove river. You're missing way too much value by not betting compared to the hypothetical chance that a random unknown will float the flop with nothing then decide to bluff at you once the ultimate scarecard comes.

Hope it helps.