Always the lowest stake?

• Childhood
      Childhood
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I've been playing 27sng/ 18sng/ 9sng/ following the SnG strategy...
      it always makes me one of the lowest stake due to playing too tight..

does that happen to all of you??

Thanks

Childhood~
  • 7 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      The basic tight-early strategy is not supposed to be optimal. It is more of a survival strategy which will often get you to the push/fold portion of the game even if your postflop play is weak, and you should have an advantage over your opponents if you have studied the push/fold phase with ICM Trainer.

Playing very tightly is less appropriate in multitable SNGs. The proper balance between accumulating chips and survival emphasizes survival in STTs, and accumulation in MTTs, particularly in early levels.

As you gain more postflop experience and experience reading the strengths of your opponents preflop actions, you should be looking for additional profitable opportunities involving hands which are not on the basic charts. One side effect is that you will bust out early more often. However, you will also more often have a large stack near the bubble which opens up many more profitable opportunities.
    • Childhood
      Childhood
      Bronze
      Yes, that is what happened to me...
      Because I used to play BSS, so I tried some BSS in the early stages,
      Sometimes I get busted out in the early phase, but sometimes I'm the biggest stack when I'm in the bubble.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      It is common for people to tell cash game players switching to SNGs to tighten up in early levels. However, this is not really necessary if you played full ring cash games. If you played shorthanded cash games, then you need to be careful that you have to play much tighter in early position than when you are closer to the button. For example, it is reasonable to fold AQo UTG 9-handed, but it would be overly tight to fold AQo UTG 6-handed, and even AJo is normally profitable from BTN+3.

You can't play hands for implied odds as much in a SNG, but that is mainly due to the stack depth. Your risk aversion is normally small when there are 9 players left, and the slight risk aversion is countered by the absence of a rake taken out of each pot. Also due to the shorter stack depth, you can't raise quite as widely from late position because you do not have the threat of firing up to 3 full barrels. Position is less valuable when the stacks are shorter.
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      and even AJo is normally profitable from BTN+3.
      Is this true?

Because I open-raise AJo just in blind steal situations from CO/BTN/SB, any other position I do open-fold. I shove AJo w/10-11bb from MP and w/9bb and less from UTG.

Am I leaking here? thx for answer
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Yes, I think you are missing some opportunities to open AJo profitably from the HJ and BTN+3 in early levels. KQo also shows a clear profit from BTN+3.
    • fred1509
      fred1509
      Bronze
      I'm sorry for being a novice, but what is position is BTN+3?? :(
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      BTN+3 means 3 seats away from the button.

BTN
      CO
      HJ
      BTN+3
      BTN+4
      BTN+5
      etc.

Some people might call the position MP2, but that is done inconsistently. Shorthanded players might call the position UTG, but when someone is sitting out, the hijack is UTG.