[NL20-NL50] NL 25 SH, AJo, 2 pair OOP, T - missed protection?

• Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $25.43
      BU:
      $26.57
      SB:
      $21.00
      BB (Hero):
      $25.00
      MP2:
      $51.46
      MP3:
      $10.32

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J.
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.85, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.8) 8, J, 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.25.

Turn: ($4.3) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($4.3) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, CO calls $3.00.

Villain stats:
      Hands:55
      VPIP:22
      PFR:12
      AF:5.0

I guess, that I'm a favorite on the turn,
      but there are some cards I don't want to see: Q, T, maybe K.
      Should I just donk-bet here?
      I would play bet/3bet now, I think. Just get it in.
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I prefer 3-bet pf, since you should be ahead his opening range, AJ plays ok postflop and you take initiative which is very important if you and he miss
      with that board you can also donk out yourself or c/r. If you want to play medium size pot then c/c down is also ok
      I think c/r turn is better, since he should barrel his air on the turn and he won´t call you down anyway 3 streets with one pair hand.
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I prefer 3-bet pf, since you should be ahead his opening range, AJ plays ok postflop and you take initiative which is very important if you and he miss
      with that board you can also donk out yourself or c/r. If you want to play medium size pot then c/c down is also ok
      I think c/r turn is better, since he should barrel his air on the turn and he won´t call you down anyway 3 streets with one pair hand.

I agree with 3bet pre-flop. It plays better w/ initiative.

Question:
      This time we have an aggressive villain, his aggression is 5.0 - is that why we want to check and let him second barrel Ace (then check/raise)?

And if we had a passive villain (let's say AF:1.2), then we donk-bet?
      Is that's the idea?

Thank you!
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think both ways c/r might be better, since consider villain has there QJ, he is not really gonna call your turn bet and river bet if you bet turn and then also bet river.
      If he has there Ax, he should bet himself a lot of times. So if he goes to the pot control with worse hands than Ax, you would get your value on the river.
      If he is bluffing or betting with Ax, you get extra value on the turn and on Ax if he is b/c, also to the river.
      I think you´re just not leading turn there with worse hands than A8+ and often would c/f or c/c with Jx and weaker hands, then it is good to balance your c/f range smt strong.