Smallball poker or not ?

• ParadiseBaby
      ParadiseBaby
      Bronze
      Hello i just started playing poker again now that i have holidays.
      I play 3 dollar sit and gos 6 max .
      in the past i played 6 dollar so my father (who has more poker experience then me ) told me to play 6 dollar because he thought i was ready for it and he said he would help me.
      Thing is me and my father have completely diffrent playing styles , he plays very tight doesnt risk much and i am loose and aggresive , sometimes too aggresive i have too admit.
      i ended up heads up against a player with about 8k chips , the other player had 4 k the blinds were reasonably low 50/100 and my dad told me too play smallball poker. In fact , he kept telling me to call everything.
      Later when the blinds where 100/200 i wanted to raise often but my dad told me too just call or fold and on the flop too only bet out when i have something.
      Me and my dad are pretty much still fighting so i wonder what you guys think :) is smallball poker heads up better ?
      should i not try stealing as i have chip lead???
  • 10 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      it pretty much comes down to what type of opponent you're against, personally i like to play really aggressive heads up unless my opponent is a maniac or something else tells me to change my playing style, its all about being able to adapt.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Seems like your dad has no idea how to play HU
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      it pretty much comes down to what type of opponent you're against, personally i like to play really aggressive heads up unless my opponent is a maniac or something else tells me to change my playing style, its all about being able to adapt.
      +1
    • ParadiseBaby
      ParadiseBaby
      Bronze
      haha sounds like music to my ears ! glad to hear i was right !
      thanks for commenting :]
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Is your dad Phil Hellmuth?? I'm sure I heard him in a video telling durrrr:"I rarely raise and I rarely fold". And then he got knocked out...
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Does your father really play like this? I'd love to play him HU. Isn't he going to Czech Republic in near future? :D
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Is your dad Phil Hellmuth?? I'm sure I heard him in a video telling durrrr:"I rarely raise and I rarely fold". And then he got knocked out...
      That was in HU match when durrrr knocked him with 10s when Phil had aces, right? I'm absolutely sure Phil said "I rarely raise and i rarely fold ON THE BUTTON". ;) It was reaction to Tom's saying that he's gonna raise every time on the button.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      your dad doesn't know what he's talking about, a good heads up player will (with stacks of 20bb+) pretty much NEVER limp the button.

Raise raise bet bet, especially if the board is wet

yes i just made that up, but that's how to play heads up :D
    • ParadiseBaby
      ParadiseBaby
      Bronze
      thanks for all the comments much appreciated !! :D
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      I prefer small ball for sure. That is not to say I would limp the button. Small ball is an aggressive style where you keep the pots small. If you are playing small ball, you would be the player that minraises 80% on the button, and floats alot postflop. When they bet instead of betting 65-80% of the pot they prefer half potsize bets and 2/3 potsize bets even on the most draw heavy boards. Small ball players steal a lot and play position more.

If your stack is between something like 15-25bb then instead of min raising you can limp the button. The reason you do this is to force your opponent to play postflop. With a 20bb stack if you min raised here your opponent could just shove and you would be putting the chips in preflop rather than postflop.

It seems that your dad uses "small ball" as an excuse to limp everything preflop. Don't make this mistake.

So yeah enough rambling, small ball ftw.