[NL2-NL10] Nl 50 Sh/nl questions

• erob60
      erob60
      Gold
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)   
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $57.09
      Hero:
      $91.98

0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:spade: , A:spade:
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $1.00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $3.00, CO calls $2.00.

Flop: ($6.25) 9:spade: , K:club: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4, CO calls $4.00.

Turn: ($14.25) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50.

River: ($25.25) 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $7, Hero calls $7.00.

Final Pot: $39.25

Is checking the turn the best method of pot control? Should I have 'reraised for information' at any point or just let him fill the pot and fold to a sufficiently large value bet?

Furthurmore, if I have the ability to identify and exploit fish at a limit, but also to recognise when someones better than me and leave in such a case, have I beaten the limit? (i.e. I can readily make money at this limit but have only been doing so by seeking out fish).

Also, I'm only comfortable playing with 1 stack at a table - after winning an additional stack I usually scarper. Is this advisable until having played a lot more? (Because it is usually only the stronger players than will have large numbers of chips, having won them, and hence if you are going to avoid them you wont need much more than 1 stack).
  • 2 replies
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      Ill start from the end.

I do the exact same thing, if i double up(that's when i get 100 dollars), I usually leave the table, unelss there is a total fish at the table and its not valuable to leave.

Exploiting fish is the way i make like 80 precent of my money, dont worry about people better than you, they get the same cards you do. Beating the limit as if moving on? I move on only according to the BRM, dont worry, there are noobs on NL 100 too.

About the hand, i don't think you did much wrong, but i would still bet the turn here, about 11 dollars, if he raises i call and i check and call the river also, if just calls i would still probably valuebet the river.Depends a little on what read you have on the guy, but he's on CO and only minraised , could have something like KJ, K10, or KQ
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi erob60!

I'll start from the beginning :D

I think you played the hand very well. It's correct to check/call turn and river for pot control because there are not many hands which you are beating and which would call a raise. You also don't want to bet and call a raise because the pot would be too big for TPTK.

As soon as you beat the fish on your limit you are beating the limit. It is not your goal to beat the best players but to make profit from the worse players. That means it is exactly the way you should play: Avoid better opponents and exploit worse opponents.

If you feel uncomfortable playing deep stacked it is ok to leave the table. After you got more experience that might change.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81