[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH river flush

• FonzzySVK
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, 7.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) K, 5, 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.65) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

River: ($1.85) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.00, BB raises to $9.31, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.85.

Villain is 20/15 AF: 1.6 over 500 hands. Snap call? I think only reasonable hands for play like this are 44, 55, K4, K5, but he can`t expect from me to bet the river. Maybe I am scared of nothing. Any opinion?
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      It's really close... As you have the 7d making it impossible for him to have 78d and kinda overplay it when the flush hits, I don't think you really beat anything and he is just trying to make his hand look bluffy to get called by a bluffcatchers.

It's definitely not a snap-call. I would opt for a fold too as it's only NL10, people don't make that many fancy plays and you have a lot of better spots to get your money back.
    • blackops888
      Hey Fonzzy. Well, first of all, your pre-flop betting size is OK from this spot, but checking behind the flop might not have been a nice play. Remember that he just called you from BB, which makes unlikely that he has strong hands like AA, AK and KK. This is a first point. Also if he had hands like KQ, KJ or KT, he would have donk bet this flop just in case you had a spades flush draw. I think he would have to be too passive in order to check a pair of kings in this spot, and people with AF 1.6 in 500 hands don't usually do that.

Besides, what if he had himself a spades flush-draw? When you checked behind you could have given to him his flush. In this spot, if he bet on the turn you would be clueless about what to do and the best option would then be to fold. So, the best move for the flop would have been a c-bet of some 2/3 of the pot size. In case of a big raise (and depending on the game dynamics up to that point) you could consider folding.

On the turn you have improved your backdoor flush-draw and ALSO an OESD, which made mandatory a raise on his $0.60 bet (which, by the way, could have been just a check/fold instead of a bet from him in case you had c-bet the flop).

And then suppose that you bet both streets, hit your flush and he shoves on you... first of all, the pot would have been too large for a fold at this point. Also, once the K of diamonds was the river card, there would be just one card left to beat your flush, which was the A of diamonds. If he had just A high up to now, he would already have given up to your double-barrels on flop and turn. In this case, you could then have called his shove while being quite sure that you had the best hand most of the time.

Got it?
    • N0pr3s3n7
      This type of opponent will be holding a hand that beats all flushes most of the time.He isn't agressive and the all in is either a full house or Ax of diamonds.He is never going all in with any other hand!!!Never call in such situation versus such a opponent.I would call this versus some1 with at least 35-40 VPIP who i have the reads is a fish or loose agressive.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Agreed. If you open Qs just c-bet that flop with it. As far as the river play goes, his hand really looks like some set that was protecting on the turn and is now scared of nothing when it boated up, I'm not calling that either against a reg. He's just not playing a worse flush like that.

Hope it helps.