Double or Nothing

• lfcday
      lfcday
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I signed up to this site last October and had some joy playing for a few months but due to family commitments I had to stop playing.

I am now back for a serious piece of the pie an I am enjoying learning the various strategies available again and I have set myself a goal to reach the silver membership level within the next 3 months.

As I am trying to learn again I have been playing in the double or nothing sit and goes, the winnings are less but you only have to beat half the field. I have played 14 thus far and have managed to place in 13 and the one I didn't was down to a bad beat (trip aces beaten by a straight 9 high on the river!).

Is this form of poker a good way of learning? Most of the players are pretty tight and the games take a while, there seems to be a lack of variance also (not that this is a bad thing i think?).

Any advice would be appreciated!!! :D
  • 4 replies
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi lfcday,

Congratulations to your recent winnings!

I move your thread to our SNG Strategy Discussion forum. There you will receive a better answer to your questions.

Good luck,
      Hannes
    • lfcday
      lfcday
      Bronze
      Thanks,

Didn't realise I had put it in the wrong section, just assumed as a beginner thats where it would go :rolleyes:
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Hi, and welcome. I'm happy that you have had success with the Double or Nothing tournaments so far. However, I would recommend playing other SNGs to learn.

DoN tournament play is an extreme and specialized form of poker, and it doesn't prepare you to do much else. If you play regular STTs with a 50-30-20 structure, then you will learn things which will let you play cash games, HU SNGs, DoNs, or MTTs later.

You can still play DoN tournaments, and you might find that you are building your bankroll rapidly with them if your success continues. However, they should not be all that you play.
    • lfcday
      lfcday
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice,

I have been playing a few today and not done as well as yesterday but still won more than I lost (16/9).

I have been playing normal s&g games and I have placed in 4 and won 1 out of 8 so not too bad.

Big achievement for the day is placing 9th in a mtt with 134 entrants :D

Hopefully reach silver status soon to take advantage of the materials on offer there!!!