[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH KJo @ MP

• prg09
      prg09
      Bronze
      Hi,
      was it ok to fold on the river? Villain was 22/13 over small sample (24 hands).
      ty

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $4.65
      SB:
      $3.29
      BB:
      $4.92
      MP2:
      $3.73
      MP3 (Hero):
      $5.05
      CO:
      $3.46

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, J.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) K, 5, 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.22) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00.

River: ($3.22) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $3.32, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.22.
  • 3 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I don't really see many hands that could bet out here. I think that 66-QQ would c/c again and you didn't give him any reason not to believe you will bet the river again. There's no busted draws he could bluff with, so it's easy fold for me.
      Just my humble opinion, may be completely wrong.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think you cbet too big. The board is neither straightening neither flushing. You want to get value from medium PP or worse Kx, not to give bad odds to draws when there are non possible. On the turn check for pot control. River is a fold to a 2/3-3/4 bet. I just can't see a bet with worse than KJ. Maybe TT, JJ, QQ or KT. But I doubt it...
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Duudalinja
      I don't really see many hands that could bet out here. I think that 66-QQ would c/c again and you didn't give him any reason not to believe you will bet the river again. There's no busted draws he could bluff with, so it's easy fold for me.
      Just my humble opinion, may be completely wrong.
      Stop selling yourself short, you can't succeed in poker if you don't trust yourself. It's of great help to be able to question your play when you witness something that might lead you to believe you were wrong, but that doesn't mean it's good for your mental state to start thinking you're wrong before you get some evidence of it. I agree with everything you said about the hand itself.

Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I think you cbet too big. The board is neither straightening neither flushing. You want to get value from medium PP or worse Kx, not to give bad odds to draws when there are non possible. On the turn check for pot control. River is a fold to a 2/3-3/4 bet. I just can't see a bet with worse than KJ. Maybe TT, JJ, QQ or KT. But I doubt it...
      I only disagree with the bold parts.

Checking back the turn for pot control is a bad habit of too many players, you just lose value against worst hands in the process in spots like that without reads. A lot of people check back the turn and call a river bet, resulting in them getting money in against a betting range (he decided to bet on his own) instead of a calling range (if he didn't want to fold he had to call) which will be a bad idea until you know your opponent bluffs quite often. When the turn comes and you have TPGK+, just bet again and if you get raised, you're smoked 95% of the time, so there is nothing wrong with folding.

On the river he's not potting out TT-QQ, no way. Maybe KT if he's really bad but in my opinion if he overvalued KT to that extent he would have raised on an earlier street to begin with.

Hope it helps.