$4.93
      MP3:
      $5.02
      CO:
      $5.02
      BU (Hero):
      $4.79

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, K.
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.45, SB calls $0.43, 2 folds, CO folds.

Flop: ($1.1) T, A, K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00, SB calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.1) Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.04, SB raises to $1.06, Hero calls $0.02.

River: ($5.22) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.22.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and queens(Q K).
      SB shows a straight, ace high(J K).

SB wins with a straight, ace high(J K).
  • 3 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I wouldn't 3bet pre with KQo as with 3betting you leave in part of his range that dominates you (AK/AQ) and fold any other hand you dominate (KJ, QJ).
      So accordingly play would be different on later streets as well, but if played like this I don't like this almost committing bet on flop, because even if he's fish - he called 3bet from SB. It may be possible to bet smaller on flop and on turn I would just c/f most likely. I just feel like I'm giving away my 50BB's to some Ax/Jx and 3bet pot makes it more awkward.
      Just my humble opinion, may be completely wrong.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I personally don't mind that 3bet IP against CO. But I do mind flop play. A call from SB in that hand will almost always be Ax. If you bet that flop you are already commited against a better hand. Just play c/f. to save yourself $2.

Good luck!

PS: Don't post results. In this case he did call you with a worse hand but general case is Ax hands that have you well beat preflop and on the flop.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't mind the 3-bet either, AK will usually just 4-bet and make us fold, and KQo isn't such a good hand that we'd be sad folding it. Especially if you know SB is loose enough to call the 3-bet with anything, it's great to try and get into a pot with him with a hand like KQ that can make strong top pair hands.

Hard to say postflop. Provided SB is just really loose overall there are certainly worse hands like Kx/Tx/Qx/Jx/diamonds that can call your bet on the flop, not just Ax. If he's not that loose however we're indeed screwing ourselves over by c-betting so big. When in doubt I don't think it can be considered bad either way.

The turn card is really sad for us but we probably won't be able to fold getting 4:1 anyway, so making sure we stack Ax hands now that we have two pairs isn't such a bad idea, we'll get stacked by the rest anyway. Alternative would be to check back and try to see a showdown. Maybe if you make the assumption that SB wouldn't just shove the rest of his money in on a blank river with only Ax you can fold, but again who knows, it's nl5.

Hope it helps.