[NL2-NL10] 55 NL5 Rush rivered set

• EmanuelC16
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with 5, 5.
      Hero raises to $0.15, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.15, MP2 calls $0.15, 4 folds, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.62) 7, 4, K (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($0.62) 6 (4 players)
      BB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds.

River: ($0.92) 5 (3 players)
      BB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15, MP1 calls $0.15.

Final Pot: $1.37.

Can we raise for value on the river? No real reads on opponents as it's rush and it really takes a while to get some hands with the same people...
  • 2 replies
    • blackops888
      Hey man... I think it's fine to just call pre-flop for set value, in the first place. The problem is that when that 6h came on the turn, your hand improved to an OESD also. When facing that $0.10 bet on a pot that was already $0.62, you should have gone for a raise, not a call, once you now had 10 outs for the probable best hand. That was the first value action to be taken.

When the BB bets $0.10, maybe he was just on a poor attempt to take both you and MP1 out of the pot. People don't often semi-bluff their flush draws in this limit. When you called, we know that you were calling just for the sake of hitting your set on the river, but what about MP1? He is the one who might overcall very profitably this extremely low price if he had a flush-draw.

So... When you rivered your set and had 2 other people who might have possibly hit their flushes with your 5h, the "less worth" option was to just call that $0.15 bet. I say "less worth" because calling would not be the best option of all when hitting a set on the river, but given the circumstances and the development of this hand, that was the most prudent action to take in order to prevent further losses just in case somebody actually had that flush. If you raised that $0.15 bet to, let's say, $0.60, who would call this raise? You could either get called by a flush or, worse, reraised by one, putting yourself on a very tough spot.

I think you did it right by just calling. No worse hand could call your raise on that spot.
    • Kaitz20
      you can´t raise river for value, so I like just call
      I think you can also call turn for that small bet, although fold is likely a little better