fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Hero:
      $2.02
      MP2:
      $4.89

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: , A:spade:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, MP2 calls $0.08, 5 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 3:club: , 5:club: , 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, MP2 calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.51) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.38, MP2 calls $0.38.

River: ($1.27) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.63, MP2 raises to $1.40, Hero raises to $1.40 (All-In).

Final Pot: $4.07

Preflop, flop and turn i'm content with how i played. They were all fine, right? (I would've folded to a reraise on the turn, fwiw. Maybe turn i could've checked. But still...)

When the straight on the board came on the river i thought it's possible my opponent would try and push me off a split pot if i checked, so i raised, then when he raised i though he is trying to push me off a split pot, so i called. Is this play alright?
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      No. A split would go check/check from both players. He can bet 88 or a flush there as both make sense. Check/call depending on the bet size is fine most of the time as players love bluffing, as you pointed out. Even if in the end it was a split pot both of you lost because of the rake and what I think is a silly play.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      There's flush/straight possible and I doubt someone will try to push you off the hand on that scary board just to chop pot when you already bet 3 streets. Most likely I would just b/f river as you have only one pair and that may not be enough...
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I would put villain on a flush or A8.

This is hard for me to know what to do also so I'm wondering what judge will say.

Because after your last bet on the river you already invested half of your stack in this hand...but then you are loser in 100% of the case

Case 1 : Split pot, rake eats you a little
      Case 2 : He has a 8, You lose your whole thing.
      Case 3 : He has a flush, you lose the whole stack again.

Yea, after thinking about it, you must fold to the river raises.

I would bet harder on the turn also maybe to see if he would push there and a push on the turn would give you more indication. (That you need to fold)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      board is getting that ugly to the aces that I´d prefer c/f turn, rather than continuing betting. I think you´re beat a lot of times so better gut your losses
      River: you can bet and make him fold split, but you have to fold to shove. Mostly they would just call and if they shove it is usually flush or higher straight