This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 flopped set VS shoved turn

• slothly
      slothly
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.05
      BU:
      $2.00
      SB (Hero):
      $2.05
      BB:
      $3.75
      MP2:
      $0.52
      MP3:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 8.
      MP2 raises to $0.04, MP3 calls $0.04, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.03, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.14) K, 8, J (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.06, MP2 calls $0.04, MP3 calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.32) T (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.18, MP2 calls $0.18, MP3 raises to $1.90(All-In), Hero raises to $1.95, MP2 calls $0.24.

River: ($4.59) Q (3 players)

Final Pot: $4.59.

No significant stats on either player.
      My flop play is clearly weak, but i find it difficult to deal with a min bet. I don't want to allow them to see a cheap turn but neither do i want to show too much strength by checking ahead and then re-raising to a significant amount.

I was hopping to bait them into making a more significant re-raise, this line turns out to be poor as they get a cheap turn and i'm put to a difficult decision.

The turn completes a straight draw, but i feel that folding trips here is too weak, there are several 2 pairs squarely in MP3's range which i would have beat. I also read the straight shove as a potential show of weakness, a shove in a pot this small could well be a crazy bluff/semi bluff and not indicate i am beaten.

I have no idea how to approach this situation, and i find myself in it rather frequently. Can i give credit to a shove at NL2 in such a situation? If i had made a more significant bet on the flop, been called and have MP3 shove on the turn would i be in a better position to call?
  • 3 replies
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      flop;raise to like 0.16 minimum.
      turn: Q9,97,and AQ got there. u r also beat by bigger sets. ALOT of combos of hands have u beat so i would just fold although at nl2 it is close. If u raise bigger on the flop u also give these draws worse odds to call.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Flop hits their range sooo much it pays to donk it for 2/3. You'll get raised by any king any 2-pair or even by a strong draw. Other than that it disguises your hand a bit and you control how much the have to pay to draw.
      On the turn everything but a FD got there so just check it. Call a bet that gives you good pot odds and some implied odds to draw to a full house or quads.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      on that drawy board you can c/r larger, since players often call there with a lot of draws or strong one pair hands (since they can put you on draws)
      I think 0.14$ is better amount and you don´t give too good odds to outdraw your hand
      Turn is b/c. he can have there enough worse hands that would shove for value