[NL2-NL10] AQ in MP

• Xiven
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, A.
      UTG1 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, MP3 calls $0.40, 4 folds, UTG1 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.35) 7, 2, A (3 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $1.00, MP3 folds, UTG1 raises to $3.10, Hero calls $2.10.

Turn: ($7.55) 5 (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $7.20, Hero calls $6.96.

River: ($21.71) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $21.71.

My thoughts:

With UTG1 limping in I should've probably raised more or folded, I don't know what he's limping with in this situation, maybe low PP or suited connectors or worse Axs

MP3 is pretty loose and I'm not too concerned with him.

I'm Happy to see the ace and I believe that I am way ahead of MP3 and with UTG 1 checking I believe I'm ahead of him also. I want to raise and have MP3 call because I'm willing to stack off against him and I want UTG 1 to fold.

I really don't like the re-raise from UTG 1. I don't really think he has AK, maybe a FD, worse Ax or a set/lower pockets.

If I want to continue with the hand I should probably push now and try to throw off the FD (although I think he would be committed and never folding)

The call is probably a bad idea, but I want to see if he leads out or if he checks to me (plus I don't want to see a heart - which gives a good argument to push over the re-raise if I want to continue).

I see the 5 as a blank and there is still no flush. If he were to value bet I may be concerned, but I see the push as a bluff and call.

I'm happy for any input, thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      If unknown, UTG seems to have you on the flop. I'd say set 777. Turn is a fold... You don't even have TPTK and started the hand with a full stack so doesn't really look fishy in any way. He has ~pot_size_bet on turn so why would he bet 1/2 pot or something? Maybe I'm wrong but that's the line I most often see with sets: c/r A hi flop and if villain calls, bet out the turn as either has a draw against which we need to protect or he has TP with which he often calls down all streets.
    • Duudalinja
      Strange line, but I tend to agree with EmanuelC16 - seems like set line to me.
      I doubt he will limp/call worse Aces pre and then go crazy and c/r them postflop unless he has two pair and how often do you see people raising FD unless it's some SD+FD combo? Some info about opp would help here a lot, but against unknown I would just fold it. Even if you call the flop, turn is fold for sure, because I doubt players will choose A high flops to make their moves with bluffs this way.
      Just my humble opinion.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Hard to say against an unknown. Best option is to just fire up the "player search" function on your poker site if it has one, so you can see if he's a 1 tabling fish or a 12 tabling reg.

The former could possibly be overplaying some Ax or be spazzing out completely, making a call down or flop push viable. The latter will have you smoked pretty much always, so that would be a fold. When in doubt I'd say it's probably negative ev to call that down so barring some clue that he's not a reg, you can probably just dump it on the flop.

Hope it helps.