[NL2-NL10] Nl2 Qq

• DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      I regularly find myself in this sort of situation and not really sure what the best line to take is with a good (but not great) overpair. 4bet pre? Call flop? Shove flop?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $2.62
      CO:
      $3.49
      BU:
      $1.03
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $1.89
      UTG2:
      $2.43
      MP1:
      $2.09
      MP2 (Hero):
      $2.50

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, Q.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.32, BB folds, Hero calls $0.24.

Flop: ($0.66) 9, 2, J (2 players)
      SB bets $0.66, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.66.

No reads on the villain, only played a couple of hands on the table. Opinions please. :)
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think call flop and reevaluate turn.. AK is in his range and you are IP. I don't like giving up overpair that quickly here...
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I think call flop and reevaluate turn.. AK is in his range and you are IP. I don't like giving up overpair that quickly here...
      Usually that would be my line of thought, in the past I wouldn't have even considered folding in this spot. Looking back now though, my biggest losses are coming from similar situations to this, where im in a 3bet flop (not as the aggressor) with an overpair, and not really sure where I stand. Too often I see the opponent flipping over KK/AA where it's getting to the stage where I think maybe it's profitable to fold in these spots and wait for a better one?

This is mainly my problem with hands such as TT-QQ. In this situation with KK/AA, im 4betting pre and looking to get all the cash in (usually) on the flop. It's just hard to tell with pairs not quite that high.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      I make decisions in these situations based on opps and my guts, I just don't see how else it could work as there's no common plan for all situations.
      In this hand he made it 4x 3bet pre and potted flop - smells like danger unless it's his typical line. Again it depends on villain. Against unknown I may call flop and see the turn action. Folding looks bad, because it then turns out we called to setmine only and even then it was against odds.
      From made hands we beat AJ/TT if he ever could 3bet these hands and much nothing more. AA/KK/JJ beats us and we're almost dead against these hands and flop isn't the best for potting cbet in 3bet pot, but if we dunno much about his tendencies, he may still cbet his whole range, including AK and maybe even few AQ combos. So I think call flop, c/f turn and if he doesn't bet turn, bet the river for value.
      Just my humble opinion.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

We could write a whole book on that one, there is no simple answer. I'll say this tho: you shouldn't be afraid to make "weak folds" at microstakes. Too often you'll either be up against people who don't screw around ever or people who keep spazzing out all the time, the goal being to identify who belongs to which category. Very rarely will you see players playing something in the middle, 3-betting a wider range for value than QQ+/AK.

If it's the former category you can fold QQ on the flop, who cares that he might do that with AK, the only thing we know for sure is that he will certainly do it with KK+, maybe JJ. If it's the latter, you shouldn't fold anything like TPGK+ ever.

If you lose money in those spots, just trust yourself and your post-session analysis. If you're not winning at microstakes because your winnings get blown away in those spots, then just fold. It means you're calling down too often on average, so just don't call down as often ;)

Hope it helps.